10 songs to add to your fall playlist

Abby Raftery and Morgen Warner

As the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, having an elite fall playlist is essential to keeping spirits up. Whether you’re doing homework, going on a fall walk or just relaxing, here are ten songs that you should add to your fall playlist.

1. “Hell N Back” by Bakar
Because of the popular app Tik Tok, this song has become very popular in a short amount of time. The song is categorized in indie rock style, which is just the perfect genre for fall. This slow yet upbeat song will instantly put you in a good mood.

2. “American Teen” by Khalid
Khalid is known for his relaxing and calm songs, and “American Teen” is one of his most well-known tunes. This song is perfect for high school students because it reminds us of the ​​simplicity of being an American teen. As the autumn leaves fall, listening to this nostalgic song will make you feel like you are the main character of a movie.

3. “September” by James Arthur
Hence the name “September” is a perfect song to add to your fall playlist. This pop, R&B soul, love song is about celebrating a relationship that started right before September. The guitar in the background paired with the sweet lyrics, make the perfect song for the fall.

4. “Stick Season” by Noah Kahan
This song is the definition of fall. Kahan released the song on July 8, 2022, and it quickly blew up on TikTok. The title of the song, “Stick Season,” describes the transition between fall and winter, referring to when there is no snow or leaves on the trees. Kahan sings, “And I love Vermont, but it’s the season of the sticks.”

5. “Dark Red” by Steve Lacy
Although Lacy’s most popular track, “Bad Habits,” has 20.4 million streams and 40.3 million radio listens, his song “Dark Red” will better fit your fall playlist. The slow drum beat at the beginning of the song will put you into a relaxed mood. This tune would be the ideal background noise for a cozy night in with a candle burning. The alt-rock song has a slow but upbeat guitar overlay that is just beautiful.

6. “Life Goes On” by Bryce Vine
If you liked Bryce Vine’s most popular song, “Drew Barrymore,” then you should definitely take a listen to his song, “Life Goes On.” This chill, laid-back song is a reminder that no matter what challenges you’re going through, life goes on. This motto is perfect for high school students during the busy fall season. This song is great to listen to in the morning, on your way to school, or after school while doing homework.

7. “Ivy” by Frank Ocean
Almost any song by Frank Ocean could be put in the category of “fall music” because of his soothing, calm voice, and the song “Ivy” is no exception. The mellow tone of this tune, accompanied by Ocean’s poetic lyrics about looking back into the past without feeling bitterness, can relate to one’s feelings while looking back at the summer months.

8. “Love Lost” by Mac Miller
This song, which was written by Miller in 2011 yet not released until 2021, is now one of Miller’s most listened to songs. The slow, hip hop song talks about a romantic relationship that was lost but then recovered. The song starts out with the lyrics “Doin the happy dance,” which will instantly lift your spirits.

9. “Sweater Weather” by The Neighborhood
The title of this track perfectly describes fall weather, while the song itself depicts the feelings of being in a relationship and seeing the good in the situations you find yourself in. The song has a strong beat, while the melody itself is mellow and trends toward a sad feeling.

10. “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac
This song is an oldie but goodie. Soft rock goes perfectly with the fall weather, and Fleetwood Mac does it better than anyone else. The song is about a relationship that is ending soon, which can be connected to the bittersweet feelings of summer ending.