October Artist of the Month: Eunjee Kang

Credit: Eunjee Kang

The image above is a piece sophomore Eunjee Kang created for her Art 1 class. “I made this during our first Art 1 project: ‘Self-Portrait in Objects: Origami Book’,” Kang said. “I drew some objects I favored or objects I thought represented me using colored pencils.”

Kris Poole-Evans

Sophomore Eunjee Kang  is taking Art 1 this year to further her sketching and painting skills. Kang’s older sister’s bullet journals inspired her to make art.

“It just looked so pretty,” Kang said. “I always wanted to make art that was pretty like that, or at least make art that other people thought was pretty.”

Kang views art not only as a form of expression but as a way to destress.

“It’s relaxing to temporarily forget about my troubles and sit down with my art. The best part about art is that it doesn’t matter what I’m making.” Kang says, “It’s always a nice distraction.”

What prompted you to take art?

“I really wanted to take art last year during freshman year, but I couldn’t fit it into my schedule. I haven’t done art in like a year. With all my school work, I guess it took a backseat. It was nice to see [Art 1] in my schedule. Art is nice because it’s pretty fun and it’s a place to relax and find tranquility.”

What are you looking forward to the most in Art 1?

“I’m excited for the self portraits because they have so much detail in them. They also look like a lot of fun to do.”

Is there anyone in your life that inspires you?

“I guess my older sister. She’s really into bullet journaling, and I always thought it was impressive and nice to look at.”

Are you planning on taking art for the rest of your high school career?

“If I can fit it in my schedule, then yes. I have a lot of electives that take more of a priority. [Advanced Placement] art sounds fun, but again it’s all about my scheduling for the next few years.”

What is your preferred art medium?

“I think I definitely like sketching and drawing the best. I like sketching with pencil the most because it’s easy and doesn’t usually take a whole lot of effort. Sketching is kind of fluid, if I’m being honest. It can be the start of something big or the finished result. There’s just something about that that’s really cool to me.”

What does art mean to you? How does it impact your life?

“Wow, that’s a deep question. Art has always been like a place I can go to to relieve stress. I’ve always wanted to be good at art, and I wanted to be an artist when I was younger. I don’t know what “artist” meant to me at that time, but it was always a passion of mine. As of right now, I don’t want to be an artist after high school, but it’s such a vital aspect of my everyday life, outside school and now inside, that I hope to continue with art in some way or another.”

What is your favorite piece and why?

“I guess my favorite piece will be my self portrait. I don’t have a favorite piece yet, but I think I’ll have the most fun doing [the self portrait]. And I’m hoping it will come out the best.”

Kang created the image above. “Crocheting is a hobby I got into during the pandemic,” Kang said. “I decided to make the three characters from “Totoro” [an animated fantasy film] using yarn because they are from my favorite childhood movie.” (Credit: Eunjee Kang)