WHSTE presents “Godspell”

WHSTE+will+be+performing+their+annual+fall+musical+this+Thursday%2C+Friday+and+Saturday.+The+musical+is+titled+Godspell+and+is+about+the+origin+story+of+Jesus+Christ+with+a+modern+twist.+

Credit: Mischa Lee

WHSTE will be performing their annual fall musical this Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The musical is titled “Godspell” and is about the origin story of Jesus Christ with a modern twist.

Mischa Lee

Wayland High School Theater Ensemble (WHSTE) presents its annual fall musical this year, “Godspell.” The performances will take place on Thursday, Friday and Saturday of this week. The shows on Thursday and Friday start at 7:30 p.m. and the show on Saturday starts at 5:00 p.m.. Tickets are going to be sold at lunch this week for $10 per student. They can also be purchased online.

“Godspell” was created by graduate students from Carnegie Mellon University in the early 1970s. These students created a musical out of the gospel of Matthew. “Godspell” is a very colorful and energetic musical that has a mix of many different types of music.

“Godspell is a rock musical that calls back to the origin story of Jesus Christ to tell a much broader story of a community in conflict.” WHSTE director Aidan O’Hara said.

Instead of making the musical focused on the Bible story, Wayland High School is being conveyed in a contemporary version. It is more about a community navigating through its ups and downs.

“This musical is really designed for Wayland High School, so it would be great to have as many students and families there as possible,” O’Hara said.