News Brief: Academic Center hosts midterm review sessions

Credit: Courtesy of Aimee LIma

From Monday, Jan. 23 until Wednesday, Jan. 25, the Academic Center will be hosting midterm review sessions. “Come check out the review sessions,” Academic Center coordinator Aimee Lima said.

Nadya Chase

From Monday, Jan. 23 until Wednesday, Jan. 24, the Wayland High School’s Academic Center will be hosting two midterm review sessions per day. The sessions will take place each day before school at 7:45 a.m. until 8:30 a.m., as well as after school at 3:15 p.m. until 4 p.m..

During each session, multiple National Honor Society (NHS) members will be available to tutor students in preparation for the biology, geometry, algebra two, chemistry, precalculus and physics midterms.

“I think it’s nice to work with peer tutors because those are students who have gone through the same courses,” Academic Center coordinator Aimee Lima said. “Sometimes it’s nice for students to learn from a peer mentor who might have a different perspective on the material than their classroom teacher.”

Lima got the idea to host the midterm review session because the Academic Center had hosted similar review sessions for previous midterm and final exams. She plans to hopefully host more review sessions for finals at the end of the year.

Students are welcome to attend as many review sessions as they want. When students attend a session, it is not mandatory for them to sign up for a session or stay for the entire time.

“Students can come alone, come with a whole table full of friends, stop in for five minutes or come the whole 45 minutes,” Lima said.

All WHS students are encouraged to visit the Academic Center for the midterm review sessions if they have any questions, or if they simply want to work with a peer on review material.

“Come check out the review sessions,” Lima said. “Don’t think they’re scary or intense, the sessions are going to be focused on whatever the students want to do to help them prepare.”