News Brief: Administration shares information regarding upcoming midterms

Midterms+are+set+to+take+place+on+Thursday%2C+Jan.+26+and+Friday%2C+Jan.+27.+

Credit: Canva

Midterms are set to take place on Thursday, Jan. 26 and Friday, Jan. 27.

Nadya Chase

On Thursday, Jan. 26 and Friday, Jan. 27, Wayland High School students will take midterms for the first time since 2020. Each midterm has been written to be completed in 90 minutes, however, students will be given two full hours to complete the exam if needed.

On Thursday, Jan. 26 from 8:45 until 10:45 a.m., physics, biology and chemistry students will take their midterm. Then, from 11:15 a.m. until 1:15 p.m., Advanced Placement (AP) Computer Science A students will take their midterm.

On Friday, Jan. 27 from 8:45 until 10:45 a.m., calculus, geometry, algebra and precalculus students will take their midterm. Then, from 11:15 a.m. until 1:15 p.m., statistics students, along with students needing to take make-up tests or students doubling up on subjects, will take their midterm. More information on the midterm schedule can be found here.

To ensure students are not swamped with tests during the week of midterms, the WHS administration has implemented “testing days.” These testing days allow different subjects to assess their students on only two specific days during the five days leading up to midterms. More information about testing days can be found in the schedule linked above.

“We invite any student who has more than three assessments in a day to check in with their counselor, who will help them reschedule to balance out their load,” Assistant Principal Sean Gass said. “That situation shouldn’t happen due to testing days, but there may be an exception where a student has something to make up, for example.”

Since this year will be the first time in three years that WHS has held midterms, the administration has taken several steps, including implements quiet hours at WHS, hosting study sessions, working with teachers and working with counselors, to prepare.

“It’s a stressful time, and I am always concerned about kids’ wellbeing [during these] times,” Gass said. “We’re all trying to keep a close eye on how people are doing, and be ready to support.”

Taking midterms can be a stressful idea for many students, so the administration is encouraging students to take advantage of the resources they are provided with.

“[My first piece of advice to students is to] follow their teacher’s lead,” Gass said. “The teachers are the experts in the room on what the test is going to cover. Second, study in groups. It makes studying more fun and gives you the opportunity to work through things together. There’s research that actually proves that people who study in groups do better on exams. Last, ask questions early. If you know there’s something that stumps you, don’t wait until you get to that part of the study guide.”