ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

News Brief: Class of 2024’s Progressive Dinner

Credit: Selena Liu
On Saturday, Oct. 28, Wayland High School’s Class of 2024 will participate in the annual Progressive Dinner, in which students will commute between three different houses for different parts of the meal: appetizers, the main course and dessert. “Progressive Dinner is an excellent opportunity to bring all of the students in our grade together,” senior class treasurer Nora Edouarzin said. “We’ve been planning this event for a long time and have put in a lot of time, so we hope it will turn out really well.”

On Saturday, Oct. 28, Wayland High School’s Class of 2024 will participate in the annual Progressive Dinner, in which students will commute between three different houses for different parts of the meal: appetizers, the main course and dessert. The event will take place from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

The event is an annual fall tradition for seniors, and will be open to all seniors, free of charge.

“Progressive Dinner is an excellent opportunity to bring all of the students in our grade together,” senior class treasurer Nora Edouarzin said. “We’ve been planning this event for a long time and have put in a lot of time, so we hope it will turn out really well.”

From 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., students will go to the Gruber’s house, for appetizers. From 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m., students will meet at the Neprud’s house, for the main course. From 6:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., students will meet at the Melander’s house, for dessert.

Students are encouraged to carpool to reduce traffic.

“We’d like to remind all seniors to drive safely between the houses and that Progressive Dinner is a school event,” Edouarzin said.

Since the event is a pot-luck, all of the food will be provided by students, who can sign up to bring certain foods with this link. The grade has been split into three groups alphabetically by last name, with each group bringing either the appetizers, the main course or the dessert.

Students with last names between Abecasis and Hwang will bring appetizers, and drop them off at the Grubers’  between 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Students with last names between Janoff and Pyhtila will drop off the main course at the Nepruds’ between 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Students with last names between Quinn and Zukerman will bring desserts, and drop them off at the Melanders’ between 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Each dish should serve around 12 people.

“Please remind your student to bring their assigned food to the assigned house. Try to use disposable dishes and utensils,” co-class advisor Lee Krasnoo wrote in an email to parents. “If you are not able, please label these items so that they can be returned to you. Please clearly list all ingredients in your dishes.”

The dress code for students is semi-formal or fancy casual. Students are advised to dress accordingly for the weather, as they will be outside for most of the event.

Furthermore, the Class of 2024 Executive Board has hired two police details to assist with parking. Police will be present at all of the houses and the route between the houses. In addition to the police, teacher chaperones, parents and a WHS administrator will be present at each house, since Progressive Dinner is a school event.

“Safety is our main concern,” Krasnoo wrote. “[Progressive Dinner] has the potential to be a great event for our kids. We know they will rise to the occasion. [We] encourage students to take part in this exciting activity.”