Humans of WHS: Chapter one

Credit: Maddie Zajac
Join Staff Reporters Maddie Zajac and Marissa Mendoza as they interview six WHS humans about the school year so far.

As the second quarter of the 2023-2024 school year at Wayland High School ramps up, students and staff may be feeling a wide variety of emotions based on their different lives and experiences. In the first chapter of Humans of WHS, Staff Reporters Maddie Zajac and Marissa Mendoza interview some students and staff about their experiences during first quarter.

Sophomore Jack Doyle:

What is your proudest moment this school year?
“I finally [got] a good grade on my [chemistry] test a couple weeks ago. Before, I was getting really bad grades in [chemistry], and now I’m getting good grades. I studied a lot more for it.”

Who is someone who was essential to helping you make it through this quarter?
“My teachers. I was getting bad grades at the beginning of the quarter and I met with them, and I’m [now] getting okay grades. I feel like they really helped bring my grades up. [For example], I met with [math teacher Hannah] Marton a lot, and she helped me get a better grade. I think the teachers make a lot of time for the students.”

What are you most afraid of right now?
“Driving, because I get my license in February, and driving to school could be an issue because I might be afraid to hit a car in the parking lot or something like that. I don’t want to get into an accident.“

What is something you are looking forward to?
“Senior year, because that’s when you get all the senior privileges. Even next year, [I’m looking forward to] being able to leave school and not be stuck in the library [during frees].”

Senior Bronwyn Keenan:

“Throwing the pumpkin smash. Putting together the pumpkin smash in my Connect class was fun. The class was designed so that we can organize everything. We made it all come together and we thought it wouldn’t work, but we did it, so I’m very proud.”

“I would say my mom. She definitely helped me with my missing assignments and such.”

What are you most afraid of right now?
“Getting into college, applying for college [and] anything surrounding college for sure. I’m scared that I’m behind. I’m scared that I don’t have enough schools [on my college list]. I’m scared that I’m not good enough to get into college.”

“I’m looking forward to Christmas because I love Christmas.”

Kitchen Manager Toni Kearns:

“Just knowing that all the students are being fed [and that] we provide a good, nutritional and healthy meal.”

“I would say my boss Cheryl Judd. She is very essential [and] is a big part of the Wayland Public Schools system. She’s the [food services] director and she does a great job running each individual school. She keeps us all on track and makes sure everything runs very smoothly.”

What are you most afraid of right now?
“Not having enough food, [I am] always afraid of running out of food for [all of the] kids.”

“I always look forward to breaks, time off, the summer and seeing the kids enjoying themselves in the Commons.”

Art teacher Veronique Latimer:

“My daughter, who’s in seventh grade, got the main role in a play. She’s going to play Elle Woods in “Legally Blonde,” so I’m really proud of her. She was super surprised.”

What are you most afraid of right now?
“I’m most afraid of all the conflicts in the world right now. I’m afraid of gun violence in our country. I’m afraid of climate change. There’s a lot to be afraid of right now.”

“[Art teacher] Amy O’Connell, my fellow art teacher here at WHS. We work very well together. We bounce ideas off each other. We give each other feedback and help each other out.”

“I am going to France over April vacation to visit my family that I have not seen in 11 years. I’m taking my daughters that have never been and my husband. We have not left the country in 11 years, so I’m super excited to see my family. I’ve seen some of them because they’ve come here, but it’s my time to go, so I’m going to Paris. I’m going to see my family and I’m super excited about that.”

How has this school year been going so far?
“This year has been going very quickly. I feel like I can’t believe the first quarter is almost over, but it’s been going pretty well.”

Freshman Sakeena Ma:

“[My] first A on a test. I was proud of myself when I got an A on an algebra pop quiz, since that’s my hardest class, as it is a sophomore class.”

What are you most afraid of right now?
“Being a B student.”

“[My] teachers and my parents. I really admire my algebra teacher, Hannah Marton, and my science teacher, Dalia Dinno, as I feel they always make sure I understand everything and [they] explain concepts really well when I need more clarification.”

“School functions. I look forward to dances and Spirit Week, as I think it brings my class and my school together.”

“[There is] a lot more responsibility that comes with freedom. I think teachers expect you to be more self-reliant. Ever since [I started] high school, I’ve had to learn how to properly study, take notes [and] plan my time. At Wayland Middle School, I could get away with some missing assignments or not studying. So, although I have more freedom and teachers monitor me less at WHS, I have much more responsibility in terms of making sure I personally reach out for help and ask questions.”

Junior Kiarra Shouder:

“I would say it’s too early to tell, but so far, it’s my performance and the good outcome of it.”

What are you most afraid of right now?
“Not having a good GPA or midterms.”

“I have three essential people. Junior Taylor Appleton, junior Marisa Soto and all of my teachers that [have] taken their time to help me.”

“I’m looking forward to finals and graduation.”

“It’s moving in a direction I wasn’t expecting it to go towards, but I think I’ll learn from the experience.”