ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

Humans of WHS: Chapter three

Credit: Maddie Zajac
Join Staff Reporters Maddie Zajac and Marissa Mendoza as they interview six WHS humans about the school year so far.

In the third chapter of Humans of WHS, Staff Reporters Maddie Zajac and Marissa Mendoza interview some students and staff about their experiences during this school year.

Sophomore Ryan Xie

What is your proudest moment this school year?
“[My] proudest moment this school year was playing my first varsity minutes during football. I wasn’t supposed to be playing varsity, but somehow I managed to. When I got called up, it felt pretty good.”
Who is someone who was essential to helping you make it through this quarter?
“Nathan Tran. Nathan is my best friend. We’ve been friends for a long time. We work together all the time.”
What are you most afraid of right now?
“Currently, it would have to be roller coasters. [I have] never really liked roller coasters. Heights are just not my thing.”
What is something you are looking forward to?
“I’m looking forward to relaxing and playing video games [during spring break]. I’ll be playing Fortnite most likely, maybe some Roblox.”

Chemistry teacher Marisa Frydman

“Pulling off labs, with [my period two] class specifically, that I haven’t done before. So, for example, the colorimetry lab with the burning Cheetos. That was one I was a little hesitant on. I didn’t know how that would go. [But the labs] have been going well.”
“It’s goin to sound cheesy, but probably my husband and home. Having that very strong support system at home where you come back and just say what you need to say. If you had a good day, tell them all about the good day. If you had a bad day, vent about the bad day.”
What are you most afraid of right now?
“Getting sick. I don’t want to get sick again. I’ve been getting sick so often this year. I wouldn’t call it a true fear, I’d call it more of an annoyance than anything else. Most of the things that I get sick with are pretty easy to clear, they’re not going to kill you, but then you miss two or three days of school and then [the class] is behind. So that’s my biggest short-term fear.”
“Spring break. My best friend has been living in Japan for the past four years and she comes back home to Connecticut for good next week. I’m looking forward to going to see her during spring break because I haven’t seen her since January of 2020. She moved right before COVID-19 and I was supposed to go visit her in Japan at some point, but it just never worked out.”

Junior Amelia Lang

“I’m happy to be a part of the National Art Honor Society (NAHS) again.”
“[Math teacher Barbara] Coughlin helped me a lot. Math is not an easy subject, and I’m also in a really small class. She teaches really well. She’ll take time out of her day to help you. She helps me feel prepared.”
What are you most afraid of right now?
“I’m most afraid of not doing well in physics, because so far I haven’t done well in physics.”
“Summer is always fun. I also have a trip planned already. Last year I did a trip with ‘Travel for Teens’, and this year I’m doing another one. I’m going to LA, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. It’s literally just a random group [of teens] and my friend.”

Spanish teacher Nicole Haghdoust

“I’m really proud to be able to offer international trips to students. We’re going to Spain for the first time since before COVID-19. I’m really proud that we could put that together.”
“My colleagues, I have a good group of teacher colleagues. If I was bummed out about something or if I needed an idea, they would support me.”
What are you most afraid of right now?
“Currently, at this moment, climate change. I just feel like we have had such strange weather over the last few years, especially the amount of rain and the lack of snow. It’s making me more nervous. I see it impacting daily life more and more.”
“I’m looking forward to April break. [I’m going to] organize my life a little bit and rest. I think we all need a break.”

Freshman Tessa Corcoran

“Getting a 100% on my math check in. I thought I was going to get maybe an 80, but I got a 100.”
“My guidance counselor, [Jim] Girard, because he helps me with a lot of stuff. He helps me work out a lot of things. [Also] my friends because they helped me study.”
What are you most afraid of right now?
“Summer school because I’m failing math, and I’m scared I’m going to go to summer school. I want to have a really fun summer. I want to travel. I can’t do that if I have to do summer school.”
“Summer, [if I don’t] go to summer school. [I’m looking forward] to lots of beaches, swimming and hanging out with my friends.”

Senior Kyra Lefebvre

“A moment where I felt proud was actually quite recent. During softball practice, I realized how much progress all the players have made. Seeing the program grow and collect more players has warmed my heart and given me hope for future seasons.”
“I don’t know how I would’ve made it without my mom. We do work together early in the morning to keep each other accountable. From coffee breaks to joint procrastination, we’ve been through it all.”
What are you most afraid of right now?
“College. People describe it as a step, but it is a leap. Even after 12 years of school, it’s intimidating. It’s like running a marathon and getting to the finish line [with the question], now what?”
“It’s kind of silly, but my answer for this one is also college. Thinking about next year scares me, but I suppose that ambiguity is what makes it so enticing. You can make your college experience anything you want it to be. It’s exciting.”