ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024s graduation, volleyball state championship and Junes Fashionista of the Month
ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024's graduation, volleyball state championship and June's Fashionista of the Month
June 17, 2024

Top 10 things to do over the summer

Join+WSPN+staff+reporter+Sophia+Verma+as+she+shares+her+top+10+recommendations+of+things+to+do+over+the+summer.+
Credit: Sophia Verma
Join WSPN staff reporter Sophia Verma as she shares her top 10 recommendations of things to do over the summer.

With warm weather finally here and summer break coming up soon, some people may be looking for ways to spend the long summer days. While there are many options of things to do, here are my top 10 recommendations.

Movie night
Whether it’s a funny movie or a scary one, having a movie night with your friends is one of many fun ways to spend your summer nights. Have a few movies in mind beforehand so you don’t waste time choosing one, and make sure to have snacks and drinks to enjoy while watching.

Go to a concert
Spending time at concerts is a great way to see your favorite artists live. Whether it’s catching shows at Gillette Stadium or going to a free outdoor concert, there are many ways to see live music and create long-lasting memories. Make sure to take lots of pictures and videos so you can relive the moment once the show is over.

Go to amusement parks
Amusement parks are, in my opinion, one of the best ways to spend leisure time with friends. Six Flags in Agawam, Massachusetts has over 100 rides and has something for everyone. Whether you like high-speed rides, such as the Superman, or prefer something more casual, such as floating along a lazy river, you’ll find something fun to do at Six Flags.

Road trip
If you’re bored at home, why not go on a road trip? While they’re more spontaneous and flexible then a properly planned vacation, it’s still a lot of fun. Some things to do on the road trip are listen to music and take in the view of the area you’re in. You can do this solo or with friends and family to share the memories with them. To make this experience even more enjoyable, spend the night at the place you’re visiting.

Sunset cruise
Spending a summer night out on the water watching the sunset is one of the most beautiful and relaxing things ever. Going on a sunset cruise is a way to unwind from the day and take in some natural beauty. Boston offers quite a few of these cruises, with one of the best being the Boston Harbor Sunset Yacht Cruise. Cruises are about two hours long, and while on board, guests can enjoy light drinks and snacks.

Spend a day at the beach
Beach days are a key thing to do over the summer. One of the best beaches to choose from is Revere Beach in Revere, Massachusetts. There are various activities at the beach each year, with one of the most popular events being their International Sand Sculpting Festival, which will be held from July 19 to 21.

Spend a day in Boston
Massachusetts’s capital has so much to offer, whether it’s going shopping on Newbury Street or going to the Museum of Fine Arts. One of my favorite things to do when going into Boston is going to Faneuil Hall, which has everything from toys and souvenirs to Italian and Mexican cuisines. If you check out the food part of the market, definitely go to mmMac N Cheese, which has some of the best mac and cheese you’ll ever taste.

Have an outdoor picnic with friends
Picnics are a fun way to get outside and spend time with friends. All you have to do is throw together a basket with some of your favorite snacks and drinks, get an old blanket and find a spot to set everything up. This can be in your backyard, favorite park, garden or beach. Be sure to bring a camera and take lots of pictures.

Tie dye shirts
Tie-dyeing shirts is a great way to express your creativity and an inexpensive way to add a splash of color to your clothes. There are many different styles and patterns of tie-dyeing, such as the spiral, crumple and bullseye. Pick whatever design you like, or go at it with no plan or design in mind. Either way, you’re sure to have fun with this messy craft.

Visit an aquarium
You’re never too old to visit an aquarium, as it’s an immersive experience that provides relaxation. The best aquarium in Boston is the New England Aquarium, and there is so much to do there. With 70 exhibits to choose from, you’re sure to find something that will spark your interest. Some of the most popular exhibits are the Giant Ocean Tank, Amazon Rainforest and Indo-Pacific Coral Reef. If you become a member, you can enjoy benefits such as discounted parking, dining and admission for guests. I would recommend spending about three hours there so that you can get the most out of your visit as possible.