Traditional brunch to see off Class of 2010

(Credit: Jonathan Chen / WSPN)

The sophomore-senior brunch is not exactly what its name would suggest. The brunch, set to take place on June 3, is run for the graduating senior class and funded by the sophomores. Sophomore class government members will serve the seniors, who will have already finished school a week earlier. The majority of the sophomore class neither participates nor brunches.

This brunch is an age-old tradition in Wayland High school, according to Pam Miller, a librarian and a longtime presence at WHS.

While the brunch’s origins have been lost, Mrs. Miller says that the tradition was in place when her children arrived at the school in the late 1980s as a “good-bye meal.”

“Years back, parents provided the food,” said Miller. “It was very formal back then.”

At this year’s brunch in June, bagels, juice, muffins, and other foods will be served.

But why do the sophomores serve the seniors, as opposed to the freshmen or the juniors? Dean of Students Scott Parseghian said that he has no solid reason for the tradition. He did speculate, however, that the sophomores are responsible because it is not convenient for the other grades.

“The freshmen don’t do it because they have a lot going on,” Parseghian said. “Sophomores have more of a relationship with the seniors, as well as more funds.”

“The juniors didn’t do it because they were too tired from prom,” said Miller.

Sophomores, despite having to serve, generally have few complaints. They know that they too will soon be seniors. Mark Crisafulli, a sophomore with a senior brother, said, “It’s fine, because if we want the brunch as seniors, we should provide for the seniors.”

The event is organized and funded by the student government of the sophomore class. All money is acquired through fundraisers organized by the sophomore student body.

The brunch is is set to take place after the senior awards ceremony on June 3. If the weather is unfavorable, it will be moved indoors into the field house.