McNamara makes history on golf team

Katherine McNamara, the first girl on the Wayland High School golf team, practices her swing. (Credit: Kruti Vora/WSPN)

For years, sophomore Katherine McNamara has been stepping out onto the driving range at Wayland Country Club, getting golf lessons with her dad. She reviews how to hold her favorite driver and works on mastering the proper golf stance. Over time, she learned from her dad’s golf experience and developed an interest in the sport too.

This school year, McNamara stepped out onto another golf course at, this time Sandy Burr Country Club, where she would soon be the first girl to ever make the Wayland High School golf team.

Before her freshman year, McNamara decided that she would try out for golf as a fall sport, in addition to playing basketball in the winter and tennis in the spring. Though she made freshman basketball and varsity tennis, McNamara wasn’t as fortunate during the golf season.

“I knew that I had a slim chance [at making the team] last year because there were so many returning players, so I didn’t mind,” said McNamara.

But this year, she was back again with higher hopes and improved skills.

“I’ve been improving every week and becoming more consistent,” she said. “I was nervous the first day [of tryouts] and felt more relaxed the second day.”

A few other schools in the Dual County League also have girls on their golf team, but McNamara is the the first ever to be a part of the Wayland High School golf team.

“It’s not too bad. It’s pretty exciting, I didn’t expect to be on the team,” said McNamara. “I was nervous that I was the only girl at first, but then everyone made me feel like I was part of the team.”

“I think it’s great to have her on our team. I think it’s great for Katherine, and it’s nice to see that more girls are getting a chance to play high school golf,” said golf team Coach Sean Garvey.

Even Justice Smith, Wayland High School’s new athletic director, has heard about McNamara’s spot on the team.

“I think it’s great. We’re all about providing opportunity for all our athletes here,” Smith said. “I think [Katherine] is going to be a huge asset for the team, and I hope she does extremely well. She’s got some good teammates, so they’ll be able to help her out in any way possible.”

“Having a girl on the team is a good thing because it shows that [golf] is not only a man’s sport. Even girls should try out for the golf team because they can also be a key asset,” said teammate Yannick Schaefer. “She is doing a great job dealing with 11 guys every day, and everyone on the team could agree on that.”

Having set a high standard last year, the golf team is hoping to take home another state championship.

“We are expecting nothing less than another state championship. Anything other than that, I will be disappointed,” said Garvey. “We have the players to repeat and our new players are developing quite nicely. Our team is starting to peak at the right time. We are on roll and undefeated  at home this year. Our Weston match coming up at home should tell us where we stand against our rivals.”

So, while the team sharpens its skills at Sandy Burr Country Club, McNamara will be training among them, representing girls for the first time on the Wayland High School golf team.

$60
$1500