Review: Les Misérables hits the right notes

Carly McKee (far left) as Cosette comforts Seth Lifland, who plays her adoptive father Jean Valjean. Jade Donaldson (far right) reaches out to them as the ghost of Cosette's mother, Fantine. (Credit: Melanie Wang/WSPN)

In their final musical performance in the beloved Little Theater, Wayland High School Theater Ensemble members were comfortable and confident in their venue. Dancing on the wings of an inspired pit band led by Art Finstein, both veteran and debut actors came together for a masterful performance of the Broadway classic, Les Misérables.

Director Richard Weingartner is well known for his eclectic productions. However, for his last musical in the Little Theater, he pulled out the stops and produced a favorite. Weingartner is to be credited for superb casting; performers seemed destined for their roles. The result was a well coordinated barrage of beautiful voices following a classic and beloved plot line.

The play opens with convict Jean Valjean (senior Seth Lifland), who is released from the chain gang by Inspector Javert (sophomore Jonathan von Mering) after nineteen years of near-slavery. After a transformative experience, Valjean flees parole and makes himself a successful business man.

In one of his factories is Fantine (senior Jade Donaldson), who is rescued by Valjean. On Fantine’s deathbed, Javert confronts Valjean, who flees into exile after rescuing Fantine’s daughter Cosette (sophomore Carly McKee) from the harsh treatment of Monsieur and Madame Thénardier (seniors Ryan Meiselman and Lauren Colwell).

Seth Lifland (left) as Jean Valjean confronts his longtime pursuer, Inspector Javert, played by Jonathan von Mering. (Credit: Melanie Wang/WSPN)

The two and a half hour performance then tracks a plethora of converging plots. Years later, Valjean and his ward Cosette live on the run. Inspector Javert remains unwavering and resolute in his search for Valjean, while Cosette’s foster parents have become embittered beggars in Paris.

Meanwhile, the fiery student Enjolras (senior Daniel Hyde) foments discontent and plans a popular revolution with his friend Marius (senior Richard Ting). However, on the eve of the revolution, Marius and Cosette meet and fall in love.

During the failed revolution, Valjean releases Javert from the hands of the revolutionaries, saves Marius’s life and puts Cosette in his care. However, a surprise revelation from Cosette’s old foster parents leads Marius and Cosette to seek out Valjean, and Valjean dies of old age happily, having finally disclosed the truth of Cosette’s past.

Ryan Meiselman and Lauren Colwell grin in character as the Thénardiers during rehearsal on Friday. (Credit: Melanie Wang/WSPN)

The talented performers of this production brought a 30-year-old musical immediacy and presence. Among the familiar faces in the cast were Meiselman and Colwell as Monsieur and Madame Thénardier. With inspired and outrageous theatrics, they added levity and laughter to the performance while playing a selfish and greedy couple who make their fortunes on the wrong side of the law. Junior Julia Lopriore’s lovely voice brought tears to the audience as she played Eponine, the daughter of Cosette’s foster parents, who is secretly also in love with Marius.

Theater veterans Lifland and  von Mering also delivered impeccable performances as Jean Valjean and Inspector Javert, respectively. Their commanding presences lent immediacy and character to their dynamic roles as hunter and hunted. Their first duet scene, “The Confrontation”, exemplified the panache and professionalism that has made them welcome faces in every Wayland theater production.

Carly Mckee and Richard Ting sing together as the Les Misérables's young romantic leads, Cosette and Marius.

The plethora of new faces in lead roles were an unusual highlight of this spring’s performance. Freshman David Coutu debuted well as the plucky and likeable slum child Gavroche, and WHSTE newcomers McKee and Ting played the beautiful and sheltered Cosette and love-struck student Marius.

McKee’s striking soprano had until now been an unused talent in WHS drama, while Ting’s charisma and lyricism transferred well from a cappella to the stage. However, a bit of inexperience showed in their duets, where Ting’s soft voice was continually overpowered by McKee’s volume.

Another sour note in an otherwise excellent musical came from the microphones. Many of the actors seemed unused to performing with a microphone, leading to some jarring volume jumps. Also, perhaps unsurprisingly for a theater slated for demolition next year, the sound system showed its age with occasional loud popping noises.

However, what minor cons the play had were more than made up for by the pros. Absolutely stunning performances and unusually high quality singing combined with an extremely well coordinated production made a memorable final musical at Wayland’s Little Theater. Les Misérables is being called the best Wayland High School musical in a decade, and with good reason.

$60
$1500