Expensive snacks make students go crazy

One fifty for a croissant? Sixty cents for a chocolate chip muffin? Most of you were probably appalled to discover the sudden increase in nearly all the snack line items. This change probably came unexpectedly, leaving you to frantically search for spare change in your pockets, while quietly cursing the prices. How high will the prices go? At this rate, you could be paying a dollar for a small oatmeal cookie by the end of the year, right?

The food department is a self-funded program, meaning that the food service staff is paid only with the money that we pay for our food. Additionally, a self- funded program means that what we pay must also cover some of their benefits, such as health insurance. Thus, our frustration cannot be directed at our friendly lunch ladies, even though it seems as if they are the ones to blame.

In reality, one of the main causes for the price increase is the recession; the cost to transport foods has gone up. In addition, Wayland High School is making an effort to create more nutritious and healthier selections for our student body, naturally calling for higher costs.

One of the food department’s efforts to make healthier meals is to cook them in our kitchen rather than purchasing premade meals. As you can see, it is certainly not our food staff’s fault, but rather the unavoidable economic fluctuations.

Yes, everyone agrees that this situation is inconvenient and frustrating.  Unfortunately, these prices will continue to increase as long as the economy worsens and the need to provide healthier meals is paramount. There is nothing we can do about this, so it is important to be polite to the food staff. They are doing the best they can for us.

$60
$1500