Tyler Perez: I really want to try to be a part of the community

Tyler Perez, a senior who recently moved to Wayland from New Jersey, sits on his new home turf. (Credit: Jake Adelman/WSPN)

“Wayland High School is unique with the California campus and everything. It’s interesting; it was actually built in 1959 by a man named Walter Gropius, an architect from Germany who headlined the construction of many huge buildings around the United States,” said senior Tyler Perez. “The school even won some awards for its design.”

Most Wayland High School students have lived the majority of their lives in Wayland; Perez has lived here for three months, yet he already knows more about the school’s history than many Wayland natives.

This is the third time in Perez’s life that he has moved to a new town, though it is the first time he has lived out of his home state of New Jersey. Perez is excited for the change of scenery, but Wayland is different from his previous home.

“It’s not like New Jersey at all,” said Perez. “Although there is a city, I don’t really consider it a big city since I’m used to New York. New York is my city. It’s a huge and wonderful place to be if you know where you’re going.”

For a person used to living within walking distance of the ocean, Perez said his summer in Wayland was less exciting than what he’s used to, especially because he didn’t know anyone yet. But his first weeks at school have been a breath of fresh air.

“Living in Wayland is becoming a wonderful experience because people here are a lot nicer. The principal is just out of control he’s so nice. He’s out there taking out the garbage and interacting with everybody. He’s a really great guy.”

After a being sick for a good portion of last year, Perez’s previous school would not let him graduate. Due to his absences, his credits wouldn’t transfer, which meant he was put in the position of having to retake his senior year of high school. He made the decision to start over in a new place by moving to Massachusetts to live with his good family friends, the Johnsons.

“It’s hard being a senior, especially when you feel like you should be in college. Coming to a new school and being accepted into a small group is difficult, especially when everybody has been together for so long,” said Perez. “It’s like making new friends and then having to go.”

According to Perez, one of the hardest things about repeating his senior year was watching his twin sister, Jessica, graduate and go off to college. Though they live far away from each other, the two manage to stay close.

“It’s actually kind of strange because she called me the other day when I was feeling down in the dumps and Jessica was like, ‘I had a feeling that you weren’t feeling that great, so I called,’” said Perez.

Although Wayland lacks the waves of the Jersey shore where Perez often used to surf after school, he is interested in exploring the nearby ski mountains.

“I’m looking forward to the cold winter. It’s something different,” Perez said. “I’ve been skiing a couple times. I can’t say I’m very good, but I’m a great bunny hill-er.”

Along with learning about new places and skiing, Perez loves the kitchen.

“I like to cook. That’s a secret hobby of mine. I guess not a secret anymore, but I like to cook for myself because I like to be my own critic and try different recipes. If they turn out well, I’ll cook them for other people,” said Perez. “Not to exaggerate, but I like to call myself a connoisseur of tastes. I have a unique taste in food, and when I eat a dish I can tell you what’s in it. Although, I haven’t perfected making sushi yet; I can’t get the rice to stick, but I’m learning.”

If a career in culinary arts doesn’t pan out, Perez would like to be a doctor.

“That’s completely off the grid. It’s many many years of schooling, but I wouldn’t mind helping people because many people helped me along the way with my education and my health, so I wouldn’t mind reciprocating,” Perez said. “I have steady hands, so I was thinking about majoring in surgery, but I’m not quite sure how interested I am in cutting someone open.”

Perez also loves sports, and, other than taking last year off, he has been wrestling and playing volleyball since middle school. At his last school, he even started a volleyball club because they didn’t have a team.

“I’m looking forward to hopefully getting back into it for my senior year and maybe collecting a varsity jacket,” Perez said.

Perez’s goal for this year is to make good memories in Wayland, graduate with the class of 2012, and meet some new people along the way.

“I really want to try to be a part of the community and make up for the three years I haven’t been here,” said Perez. “I’m always excited to learn something new, and I’m just trying to be a part of everyone else.”

$210
$1500