Kiefer spreads bread in Astley’s honor

(Photo Illustration: Connie Yoon/WSPN)

Out of the rubble and ruin of September 11, 2001, Juliette Fay and Karen Kiefer were inspired to start an organization called Spread the Bread, a non-profit that gives bread to local firefighters, policemen, nursing homes and food pantries.

“[Kiefer and Fay] saw a need and an opportunity to use bread to heal and comfort their Wayland, Massachusetts community, and to teach children in a changing world it is still important and easy to make a difference by reaching in and reaching out,” says Spread the Bread’s website.

Each bread is accompanied by a note with a message of  hope, inspiration and gratitude.

Karen Kiefer’s daughter, junior McKenna Kiefer, organized Spread the Bread’s 10th anniversary in memory of Lauren Astley, a member of Wayland High School class of 2011 who died in July.

Although she never participated in Spread the Bread, Astley  was involved in community service and volunteering around Wayland and around the country.

“Because of [Astley’s] uplifting spirit and attitude towards life, we wanted to dedicate Spread the Bread’s tenth anniversary in her memory,” said Kiefer.

In addition to accepting bread donations, the organization sold t-shirts that read, “Spread the Bread In Memory of Lauren Astley.” Proceeds from the shirts were donated to the Lauren Dunne Astley Memorial Fund. Spread the Bread also tied coral ribbons, Astley’s favorite color, on all of the donated bread in her honor.

Kiefer and other Spread the Bread coordinators collected bread on “Make A Difference Day,” October 22, as well as throughout the entire month of October.

Kiefer remembers baking and delivering the bread when she was younger and now it is her turn to collect and organize.

“I don’t think [my mom and Mrs. Fay] understood the impact it made on the community and across the country,” said Kiefer.

Kiefer hopes to continue the success of Spread the Bread.

“Community grassroots projects are great models of goodness,” Kiefer said, “[Spread the Bread] keeps getting better as time goes on.”

$210
$1500