ICYMI: Week of April 29 – WHS Taiwan trip, apparent homicide at Shopper’s World and Council on Aging and Community Center
May 6, 2024

Students’ 1:1 laptops to be collected at end of year

width=
One of the laptops from the 1:1 initiative WHS implemented this year is shown above. The technology department will be collecting laptops at the end of the year. "We’re just trying to give you the latest operating system in the best way possible, so when you get your computer it will perform at the best capability it can," said Mary Barber.
As the pilot year for the 1:1 Learning Initiative draws to a close, the Wayland High School technology department will be collecting the laptops that were distributed to students this past year. On the day of the science final, each student will place his or her laptop in a designated box in their exam classroom. Students do not have to return their chargers with the laptops.

The technology department will be upgrading the software on the laptops from Lion to Mountain Lion and then putting on Kaspersky virus protection. Students will also be assigned an ebook in advisory at the beginning of next year, “lol…OMG” by Matt Ivester, that discusses online reputation management and cyberbullying. Students can access the book on their computers.

“Everything [in the new system] syncs really well, so you can put in your notes and sync it up to iCloud much better than Lion,” technology specialist Mary Barber said.

In addition to improved syncing features, Mountain Lion also comes with a dictation tool that may aid notetaking. This tool has a microphone feature that transcribes speech to word documents, emails or other word processing programs.

Barber clarified that the department is not taking the computers because they are displeased with how the students have been using them. As Barber and other members of the technology department were collecting the seniors’ computers, they were happy with what they found.

“Most of them are in phenomenal condition. They were taking good care of them, and we have had very few problems,” Barber said.

Seniors cannot buy their current laptops. The machines are on a four year lease, so the laptops would cost almost the same as new ones. As of May 22, the seniors’ laptops are being cleared for the incoming freshmen.

Students who need their laptops for learning purposes over the summer and do not have other computers at home can contact Barber to possibly keep their laptops this summer.

Students can retrieve their computers at WHS on August 19, 20 or 21. Incoming freshmen will collect laptops from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on these dates, and all other students can collect theirs from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Student will be assigned the same laptops that they have had this year. Once students have received their laptops, an instructor from the technology department will give a tutorial on how to use iCloud.

“We’re just trying to give you the latest operating system in the best way possible, so when you get your computer it will perform at the best capability it can,” said Barber.

$235
$1500