Administration and guidance department limit senior superlatives

width="470"
Above are covers of previous yearbooks. This year, administration and guidance elected to remove certain senior superlatives from the yearbook. “Guidance and administration want to make sure that no one is offended by the superlatives; however, no superlative created is with ill intent or supposed to be an insult toward anyone,” senior and Yearbook Co-Editor Ally Toto said.

Toward the end of the school year, seniors and underclassmen alike are given the opportunity to see their friends and classmates featured in the yearbook. This year, changes were implemented in both the popular senior superlative section and the senior survey questions.

A combination of school administrators and guidance department members censored some senior superlatives because they wanted to ensure that the superlatives couldn’t be misinterpreted or considered offensive, inappropriate or mean.

“Guidance and administration want to make sure that no one is offended by the superlatives; however, no superlative is created with ill intent or is supposed to be an insult toward anyone,” said senior Ally Toto, Yearbook Co-Editor. “They are all meant to be fun and humorous.”

Seniors who are offended by the superlative they’ve won have the choice to decline it, a reason senior and Yearbook Co-Editor Laura Stavitsky cites to refute the notion that superlatives are harmful.

“I understand where guidance and administration are coming from, but students do have the ability to refuse a superlative they’ve won if they aren’t comfortable winning it,” Stavitsky said. “For example, [the winner of] the ‘Most wanted by administration’ superlative could have refused it, and everyone would have forgotten that the person was nominated in the first place once voting was over.”

The following superlatives were removed from the yearbook:

Life of the party: This superlative was censored because of possible confusion in voting. Administration didn’t want to support possible misinterpretation and felt that the title left ambiguity as to whether the winner should be an outgoing student or a student who attends parties throughout high school.

Most wanted by administration: Both students and administration felt that this superlative had the potential to upset parents and students.

Feared by freshmen: Administration restricted this superlative because teachers expressed concerns that it could incite bullying.

Most likely to live in Rocky Mountain state: Administration chose to change “Most likely to live in the Rocky Mountain state” to “Class hippie” because they felt the original form could be seen as offensive toward people who live in Colorado.

Best catch: Because of the many couple and combination superlatives, including “Best combination of looks and brains,” “Class couple” and “Couple that should’ve been,” students decided “Best catch” should be removed because of its similarity to other superlatives.

The following senior survey questions were censored this year:

Worst thing about 2015: Guidance and administration felt that this question would invite negative responses about the class and individuals.

Biggest difference between seniors and freshmen: Administration removed this survey question because they felt that it focused on class division.

$210
$1500