Dubtown Beat: WHS Music Profile — DJ Derek Fisher

DubtownBeat1
In this week's post, Jared speaks to senior DJ Derek Fisher.

Senior Derek Fisher is one of many student artists here at WHS. Check out Dubtown Beat’s exclusive interview, and look inside the mind of an up-and-coming DJ.

How long have you been DJing?

Almost two years now, except in the past few months I’ve been more active about it.

How did you get into DJing?

I’ve always been into electronic music, and I knew I wanted to be a part of the scene. My dad knows a lot of people in the music industry, and they inspired me to start DJing. Also, after attending a lot of EDM concerts it looked like a lot of fun, and like something I would want to do.

What kinds of music do you listen to? What kinds of music do you like to spin?

Anything really. Being a DJ you kind of have to be a jack of all trades. Personally, I love anything electronic, but when you DJ a party, you have to appeal to the masses and give them a mixture of what they want to hear and what you want to play for them.

What kind of turntables do you use?

Right now I have the Traktor Kontrol S2. It’s definitely not the best in its class, but it allows me to do what I need to do, and I have fun with it. The software is really clean and easy to learn compared to other programs I have used in the past.

How did you get involved in the Aurora Festival?

I have some extended family up in Maine who own a lot of land, and they throw a festival every year. They knew I started DJing and asked if I would perform for them, and I ended up being the final act of the night.

What was your coolest experience behind the decks?

Definitely being the closing performance at Aurora was the coolest. There was a lot of energy in the crowd. Also the Halloween party that the seniors threw was a great experience too, although a different atmosphere. It was great being able to perform for all of my friends at the party.

What do you have planned for the future?

In the near future, I am trying to coordinate an event with another DJ from Natick. Hopefully I’m going to be a part of some school based events such as any sort of dance or prom. Also, I plan on staying in Boston for college, so I can stay in the city where most of the nightlife is and expand my career from there.

Check out Derek’s set from the Aurora Festival on his SoundCloud page. It features many popular EDM hits.

Check back in a few for more great music!

$60
$1500