Winter sports recap

Thomas Chan

WSPN's Thomas Chan recaps the winter sports season.

Boys’ Hockey
The boys’ hockey team started off the season facing Matignon, a Division I team. The team suffered a loss of 5-0, but it still persevered. Since the first game, the boys continued the season successfully until an upsetting loss against Newton South, against whom they had won 6-0 previously in the season. In the biggest game of the season against rival Bedford, the team pulled off a comeback 3-2 victory, which secured them a spot in the state tournament. They recently won to become Boys Division III North champions.

Girls’ Hockey
The girls’ hockey team improved from last year. Their record for this season was 10-7-3. The girls lost the first round of the tournament on Feb. 25, but the team has a young core and is looking to rebound next year.

Boys’ Basketball
The boys team had a record of 10-8. They lost in the first round of playoffs. The current basketball team is very new, after having lost 13 seniors who graduated last year. The boys hope to turn their young players into veteran leadership next year.

Girls’ Basketball
The girls’ varsity basketball team had a much better season this year. The “Coaches for Cancer” Game, a fundraising event for cancer, was very successful. The girls look to continue taking steps forward next year.

Boys’ Track
They team had a record of 1-2 after cancellations due to snow. Junior Robert Jones along with seniors Cameron Haines, Kenzo Wong and Bennett Keyes participated in the four by 200 relay. Jones also made Division IV states in the 55 meter dash. Keyes placed fourth at the state competition in the 600 and qualified for All-States.

Girls’ Track
The girls’ varsity track team has had a rough season. The team lost every meet, but they hope to improve next season. Freshmen girls Sheryl Chin and Chrissy Goldin qualified for states, a rare achievement for freshmen.

Boys’ Swimming and Diving
Overall, the boys’ swim team had a very successful season. The team placed fifth at states and ninth at sectionals, and they won 11 meets and lost four. Next year they hope to find even more success.

Girls’ Swimming and Diving
The girls’ swim team won DCLs and sectionals. The girls lost their first meet in six years to Westford Academy; however, at DCLs the girls beat every team, including Westford Academy. The girls were also crowned state champions.

Wrestling
The wrestling team has had yet another great season. The team won 23 matches and suffered only one loss and one tie throughout the whole season, leaving them first in the DCLs. They also placed second in the state. Senior Ryan Bache, junior Cole Elias, and sophomores Michael Connell and Bailey Vespa were placed on Wayland wrestling’s wall of plaques. This wall contains plaques with pictures of many honorable wrestlers throughout Wayland history.

Boys’ Nordic Skiing
The boys’ team typically placed either fifth or sixth for league races, which were out of seven competitors. The boys placed 14 out of 17 competitors during states.

Girls’ Nordic Skiing
The girls had a successful season. The team consistently placed fourth out of seven competitors for league races. During states, the team skied against 16 competitors and placed seventh.

Boys’ Alpine Skiing
The boys alpine skiing team only won one meet throughout the season. Sophomore Ben Slater and junior Will Regan made it to states and were also DCL all-stars. Sophomore Andy Regan and junior Aaron Goldstein served as alternates.

Girls’ Alpine Skiing
Although they had a small team with only eight girls, the girls were solid this season. They finished fourth overall. Their biggest race was a slalom race on Jan. 30 when they beat Lincoln-Sudbury to place third. Freshman Grace Bradley made it to states, an impressive feat for underclassmen. Senior Nichole Orlov was sent as an alternate.