Nick Kamkari: I feel much more confident

Above, Kamkari practices jiujitsu, a martial art. Kamkari has been practicing it since the beginning of his freshman year. "I think it's a pretty rewarding experience...at the end of the day,” Kamkari said.

Junior Nick Kamkari can often be found at the Metrowest Academy of Jiu Jitsu in Natick. Jiujitsu is a martial art that focuses on leverage, off-balance and the knowledge of anatomy to overcome an attacker, rather than using physical strength and flexibility.

Unlike typical types of martial arts, jiujitsu is mostly combat-based and uses a variety of weapons such as throws, pins, locks and knives.

Kamkari began practicing jiujitsu at the beginning of his freshman year. When he moved to Wayland in eighth grade, he couldn’t find any good places that practiced his previous martial art, Shotokan karate, so he decided to try jiujitsu.

Kamkari trains 4-6 hours every week and is working to improve and eventually become a certified instructor. As of now, he has his green belt and is working to receive his black belt.

According to Kamkari, jiujitsu is an extremely involved and detailed sport. He believes that it takes a lot of motivation to continue progressing.

“If I miss just a few days, I feel completely lost and have to work twice as hard to make up for that,” Kamkari said. “I think it’s a pretty rewarding experience though at the end of the day.”

Kamkari has learned how to be more disciplined and confident from the art of jiujitsu.

“Thankfully, I haven’t had to attempt to use it in the real world, but I feel much more confident in surviving in a real-world confrontation especially considering how we practice with knives, escrima sticks and even airsoft guns,” Kamkari said.

Overall, Kamkari has had a positive experience practicing jiujitsu.

“I think it’s great for taking away the restlessness I sometimes get from sitting at a desk all day,” Kamkari said. “It also feels great to progress through the belts. There are a lot of cool and unique people I met through the years of martial arts.”