Students participate in GSA’s Day of Silence

Pictured above is the badge that participants in the Day of Silence wore in 2015. The Gay Straight Alliances Day of Silence was to raise awareness for the often silenced LGBTQ community.
Pictured above is the badge that participants in the Day of Silence wore in 2015. The Gay Straight Alliance’s Day of Silence was to raise awareness for the often silenced LGBTQ community.

/
Pictured above is the badge that participants in the Day of Silence wore. The Gay Straight Alliance's Day of Silence was to raise awareness for the often silenced LGBTQ community.
[/caption]

On April 17, WHS students participated in the Day of Silence, a day dedicated to supporting those who have been bullied about their sexual orientation and gender identity.

People could choose to participate by remaining silent all day or by wearing badges to show their support.

“I chose to speak because I don’t ever want to be silenced, and even though I think it’s important to bring attention to it, I think there are a lot of different ways,” the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) advisor Naomi Rosenthal said.

30 students and one teacher officially signed up to remain silent for the whole day. Throughout the day, however, more joined in and showed their support by wearing one of the badges available in the Commons.

“There was so much interest and a lot of participation. Teachers were super enthusiastic,” Rosenthal said. “I think that even if you didn’t choose to be silent, the feeling in the building was that this was an important day.”

$210
$1500