• Boys' soccer defeats Nipmuc 0-0 (3-2 in penalties) to win state championship

• School Committee to vote on school start times on Nov. 19 following final public forum

• WHS National Spanish Society sponsoring Yankee Candle fundraiser

• WHSTE to perform "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" from Nov. 16-18 in the WHS Theater

• No. 5 football falls to No. 2 Gloucester 6-38 in Division 4 North Final on Nov. 9

• No. 19 girls' volleyball falls 0-3 to No. 11 Melrose

• Second vote for WHS Athletic Complex Renovation project postponed from November to April

• Wayland marijuana vote deemed invalid

• Boys' soccer defeats Holliston 2-1 in state semifinals, to play Nipmuc in state finals on 11/17

Q&A with the Student Council presidential candidates

Thomas Chan

11304338_821303244629917_2147327406_n-M
President: Mike Connell
Vice President: Bobby Jones

Why do you want to be president/vice president?
We would like to be Student Council president and vice president because we believe that we would be the best possible representations of our student body. We love being involved in the school as much as possible, and we want to make sure that everybody has a memorable year. We also want to make sure all parts of the school are able to come together and that we are as unified as possible. We have many talented groups and programs at Wayland High School, so we would strive to reach out to every student and ensure that their needs and ideas are met.

How are you qualified for this position?
Bobby and I have been Student Council members since freshman years as well as executive board members for our class. We believe that we have the leadership skills and the best connection to all the students and Wayland High School.

What makes you different from other candidates?
Having been part of Student Council for multiple years, we feel that our qualification separates us from the other candidates. We think that we have the best understanding of what it takes to be Student Council president and vice president.

What do you plan to do if elected to this position?
If elected as president and vice president, we want to make sure that all parts and people of this school are appreciated and recognized for all the hard work and success that they possess. We promise to work as hard as we can to have fun events, such as a better, more action-packed Winter Week and an even better Spirit Day. To add to this we also hope to change advisory and make it a much more interactive time where students get to know each other and become more connected. Overall, our main goal if we are elected is to bring the school together and pass any ideas that students have onto administration to ensure that everybody has the most fun year possible.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 6.01.53 PM-M
President: Ani Nagesha
Vice President: Evan Hughes

We want to be president and vice president of this school because we have a lot of ideas to make school activities more fun and popular. We know that school activities are often thought of as boring and unnecessary, but we want to ensure that they are things that people look forward to and really want to attend. Also, we want to have more school events because there aren’t a lot of them right now.

We believe we are qualified to be president and vice president because we represent all areas of high school life: academics, sports and fine arts. We believe this is important because every type of high schooler should be represented through their officers.

We believe we are different from the other candidates because once again, we represent all aspects of high school life. We represent academics with our good grades, athletics because we are both involved year-round and fine arts as we are both heavily involved in the department. Our other competitors, as great as they are, don’t represent nearly everyone in Wayland High.

We plan to bring new exciting events to both Spirit Day and Winter Week. We know that every year we have the same events and activities, so it would be nice to change it up. Also, we would like to bring more sports tournaments, like the dodge ball tournament, to our school. We know how much fun those are from personal experience, and we know how much people would love to have more of them. Also, Evan is working over the summer with people from the Berklee College of Music to create a state of the art recording studio right here in our school. This way, people interested in making their own music can do it within school hours.

11255133_486801468133676_2052282792_n-M
President: Caroline Provost
Vice President: Sophie Mishara

We want to run for school office because we believe we could help improve the school by incorporating the desires of the students. The school can only be at its best when the voices of all students are heard. If these contributions are listened to, changes can be made that would benefit all types of student at WHS. We believe that we are approachable, and people should feel comfortable coming to us with their ideas. At the same time, we also have ideas that we have discussed that would contribute to the bettering of the school as well.

We have been involved in activities at the school, and because of this, we know which aspects make WHS a better place and which could be improved upon. For instance, we have participated in many student-run clubs over the years. In addition, we have taken advantage of other extracurricular activities at the school, including sports and dance. We also took part in programs designed to help other students in their transition to high school, such as the Peer Mentor program and Girl Talk.

Both of us feel that it is important for people to run the school who are responsible and willing to apply themselves in order to make changes. We think that we are qualified to do so, listening to ideas of others and putting forth effort to create a better environment at WHS. Even though we might not know everyone at the school, we want to reach out so that everyone feels they are equally represented in the decisions that Student Council makes.

If elected to this position, we will fulfill the promises we have made in the previous statements. We will listen to the ideas of all students and try to be the driving force behind making their thoughts count for the changes at the school. In addition, we have a few plans of our own to strengthen the spirit of our school. For example, we would try to implement a Spirit Week, a field day and possibly more tailgates. We would also like to make other changes such as alterations to certain aspects of advisory that we feel would help benefit the school.

1 Comment

One Response to “Q&A with the Student Council presidential candidates”

1. Orion Syth on October 7th, 2015 5:57 PM

I found this really interesting because it was an actual Q&A rather than an actual story. My high school journalism class did a story similar to that and it’s on our student government elections. If you want, it’d be great for you to check it out.

• Q&A with the Student Council presidential candidates

Students to stand against shifting school start times

Warrior Weekly: Boys win the sectional finals

“You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown” hits the stage Nov. 16, 17, 18

Julia Cleary: I just wanted to give the kids equal opportunities

Review: Venom

Clock is ticking on school start times

News Brief: WHS to administer MetroWest Adolescent Health Survey

Gracie Corbett: I just love to do it

Kyle’s Column: My friend Ryan

Politipress: Post-Midterms Recap