Hockey clinches playoffs, sends four to all-star game

Last Wednesday, the Wayland Warriors hockey team took on Blackstone Millville Regional and won 10-0, finally clinching their playoff spot in the last regular season game of the year.

Scoring was abundant as goals came from Takota Register, Evan Barber, Zach Basterache, Mark Haffey, and Eddie McCarthy. Vincenzo Vittello scored two goals, both short handed; he was just inches away from a short-handed hat trick. S. Haffey delivered yet another hat trick. Assists came from S. Haffey, two from Mike Backman, Ian Ball, Barber, three from Basterache, M. Haffey, 2 from Carson Hart, McCarthy, Sullivan, and two from Vittello. Once again, the Haffey brothers stole the show.

Earlier, on Monday the 16th, Wayland played its first game of the vacation against Boston Latin. The Warriors were only one point away from the tournament that night, but fell 3-2. Wayland’s goals were scored by senior captain Sean Haffey and junior Peter Sullivan.

Haffey’s goal came early in the game, putting Wayland up 1-0. This goal gave the Warriors hope to make the playoffs with a win that afternoon, but Boston Latin wasn’t going to give the game up to the Warriors after one quick goal. Boston Latin scored three goals before the end of the first period, leaving Wayland a tough shot for even a tie.

Neither team scored a goal in the second period, but it was Sullivan’s goal that brought life back to the bench. The goal came midway through a desperate third period. Wayland entered the third needing two goals to make the playoffs but could only get one as their dream was put on hold until the Blackstone Millville match-up.

In more hockey action, four Warriors got to have a little fun and show off their skills in the MVC/DCL all-star game over the weekend. Seniors Joe O’Brien and Sean Haffey, and sophomores Cogan Register and Zach Basterache were the chosen four from Wayland. Haffey scored a goal assisted by O’Brien in the 2-2 tie game. All four had excellent seasons and at times carried the whole team to wins. They were a major part of making playoffs this year.

The Warriors begin their playoff campaign against Lowell on Thursday at 7 PM at Stoneham Arena. The Warriors have skated to a 3-2 win and a 2-2 tie against Lowell this season.

$60
$1500