Opinion: Bring back free speech at sports games

Above+is+graffiti+that+reads+free+speech.+WSPNs+Abby+McCarthy+argues+against+verbal+restrictions+at+basketball+games+at+WHS%2C+defending+students+freedom+of+speech.+

Credit: Flickr user Newtown grafitti

Above is graffiti that reads “free speech.” WSPN’s Abby McCarthy argues against verbal restrictions at basketball games at WHS, defending students’ freedom of speech.

Abby McCarthy

Freedom of speech is one of the most essential — and controversial — rights that we have as Americans. In school, students are often denied their First Amendment rights, even in the face of the law. Right now, this is a problem at Wayland High School sports games.

This basketball season, students have been prohibited from chanting “airball” and “you can’t do that” at the opposing team. I understand that chanting discouraging messages at the other team is rude; however, limiting people’s speech is not acceptable. In fact, it is illegal.

According to chapter 71, section 82 of the Massachusetts law, “The right of students to freedom of expression in the public schools of the commonwealth shall not be abridged, provided that such right shall not cause any disruption or disorder within the school.”

If students were starting fistfights every time someone shouted “airball,” then the school, referee or athletic director would have the legal right and authority to prevent students from saying that. To my knowledge, no one chanting “airball” has ever caused a substantial disruption.

Chanting during games is only a problem if students are seriously offending or bullying others. “Airball” and “you can’t do that” are not swears, and they do not target minorities or particular individuals. These two phrases are commonplace and harmless, and frankly, calling them “bullying” is an insult to every child who has really been bullied.

I acknowledge that negative remarks are unkind and that members of the other team might take some offense. Nonetheless, when someone in Wayland’s stands chants, “You can’t do that,” they are not causing the same level of harm as someone attacking a student on a personal level.

“We make it pretty simple and clean,” Athletic Director Heath Rollins said. “You’re cheering for our team and not against the other team, so any comments or signs or anything… trying to address the other team is inappropriate.”

While I respect the athletic director’s efforts to keep Wayland sports games positive, limiting free speech based on a message’s intended audience is unconstitutional. We have to draw the line somewhere without infringing upon students’ right to express themselves. I think the current rules at basketball games are too strict; they are more appropriate for a preschool than for a high school.

Personally, I refrain from chanting at the other team because it’s distracting from the game and impolite. Still, if people are going to use free speech to be rude, then that’s their decision. I won’t chant with them, but I will defend their constitutional right to be rude. I mean, to free speech.

Free speech is one of my favorite things about the United States. Thanks to free speech, this article exists here, and you have the right to express approval or disagreement. Free speech helps us express our emotions and share observations about the world around us. When adults impose rules that infringe upon young people’s right to freedom of expression, they create a double standard.

Free speech belongs to people of every age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion and background. Free speech belongs to intelligent people but also to people like Donald Trump. Finally, free speech should belong to all students, whether they are in math class or at a basketball game.