Opinion: Students deserve access to all-gender bathrooms

We all know the dire feeling of sitting through a long class or meeting when you really have to pee. For most of us, the solution is simple; we go to the men’s or the women’s bathroom. However, not all members of our community can exercise the same privilege. Many students at WHS are denied the freedom to urinate in peace by our school’s lack of all-gender restrooms. Fortunately, our school will be getting gender inclusive bathrooms soon, and I look forward to this positive change. Unfortunately, the proposed changes “will be as swift as possible” with no solid date for the establishing the inclusive bathrooms.

Every student deserves access to all-gender bathrooms, the same way we all deserve access to water fountains or a desk to sit at during class. Removing the current gender restrictions from one of the main student bathrooms would make the environment more comfortable for many students.

The fact is that not everyone identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth, and non-binary people attend our school. When we assume that everyone identifies as male or female, we exclude people of other identities. We wouldn’t assume that every student owns a cat or a dog, and neither should we assume that everyone has a male or female gender identity. By assigning gender labels to every bathroom, we are assigning labels to people. Grouping people into stereotypes and roles takes away their ability to be themselves.

Regardless of a person’s identity, some students would simply prefer a space without gender. Many students feel confined by gender restrictions in school. People who feel unwelcome in gender restricted bathrooms may forgo the restroom at school, which can lead to health problems such as certain infections. Sounds fun, right? Consistent and equal access to the bathroom is crucial, and all-gender restrooms provide the ultimate solution.

Gender integrated bathrooms may seem “extreme,” but so did racially integrated bathrooms less than one hundred years ago. Some people may be uncomfortable at first, but with guidance and communication from our staff and administration, they will become educated on why this change is necessary for everyone to feel safe in school.

One common concern regarding all-gender restrooms is the fear of increased harassment or “incidents,” like people looking into bathroom stalls. While making the switch to all-gender bathrooms will be challenging for some students, school rules will remain the same, and administration would not tolerate harassment of any kind. Remember, bathrooms have stalls to protect people’s privacy.

I acknowledge that using bathroom stalls next to people of other genders is difficult for some students, and it would be counterproductive to make all bathrooms all-gender at once. Students who are not yet comfortable with all-gender bathrooms can choose to use any other restroom in the school. Making one main student bathroom gender inclusive will only provide students with more options.

Currently, the boys’ and girls’ bathrooms are not separated by doors, and they are similar in structure and function. In reality, many students at WHS will admit that they have accidentally entered the “wrong” bathroom. Notice how they all survived. Hey, I know I’m still here.

We live in a world of changing attitudes and it is our responsibility as a community to enact progressive change. In order to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome at school, we need to respect others’ identities and preferences by creating inclusive spaces. Using the bathroom at school is a human right, and everyone deserves the freedom to pee in peace.