• AP government and politics class to run student elections during lunches on May 23 and 24

• Nicole Haghdoust selected for the World Language Department Chair position in place of Melissa Bryant

• Sean Gass, head of Upper School at the Salem Academy Charter School, to replace Ethan Dolleman as assistant principal

• Boys hockey head coach Rian Murray to leave Wayland

• White power symbol discovered in WHS bathroom, authorities investigating

• Boys varsity crew head coach Shayne Bolduc leaves

• Dolleman to leave WHS for principalship at Norton High School

WW ’17: History teacher Kevin Delaney leads woodworking workshop

Pictured above is a student building a birdhouse at History Department Head Kevin Delaney's woodworking workshop. Delaney hosted the workshop in the makerspace on Friday as a part of WHS' annual winter week.

Pictured above is a student building a birdhouse at History Department Head Kevin Delaney's woodworking workshop. Delaney hosted the workshop in the makerspace on Friday as a part of WHS' annual winter week. "If this [workshop] exposes the makerspace a little bit and gets one or two kids thinking about it, then [I believe it has] succeeded," Delaney said.

Credit: Jackie Stoller

Credit: Jackie Stoller

Credit: Jackie Stoller

Charlie Moore and Veronika Golod

History department head Kevin Delaney led a woodworking workshop in WHS’ new Innovation Realization Lab for junior and senior students on Friday as part of Winter Week. In the lab, which was introduced students are free to invent, create and brainstorm new and innovative ideas.

“I was asked by Ms. Bishop and a few students if I [could] do a woodworking demonstration,” Delaney said. “I’ve been a woodworker [and] furniture maker for 35 years or so.”

The task was simple: listen to the instructions, look at the picture demonstration, and build a small but sturdy bird house with speed and efficiency.

Delaney has worked with wood ever since he was very young. He believes woodworking is not only a good way to “get away from school stuff,” but that it is also a sort of therapy.

“I’ve been woodworking since I was seven or eight years old. I tinkered a lot, always with wood, never with machinery or anything. That’s what I do when I need to get away from school stuff,” Delaney said. “It’s fun, [so] that’s what I’ll do in my retirement, which is not too many years from now.”

Students in the workshop appeared very determined to finish their projects.

“I enjoy getting a break from classes and looking at new things that I usually don’t see in my life,” senior Steven Luo said.

“I really like drilling this hole. It was pretty wild; the power I felt in my hands when I pushed that drill bit into the wood,” junior Yaniv Goren said.

“Everybody has the ability to make cool stuff. If this [workshop] exposes the makerspace a little bit and gets one or two kids thinking about it, then [I believe it has] succeeded,” Delaney said.

Charlie Moore, Sports Broadcast Editor

Charlie Moore, class of 2020, is a third-year journalism student and third-year reporter for WSPN. He is the sports broadcast editor for WSPN....

Jackie Stoller, Sports Editor

Jackie Stoller is a senior and a third year journalist for WSPN. She has been a staff reporter and a copy editor, and this year she is a sports editor....