• June 12Boys' tennis and girls' tennis win MIAA State Championship

• June 12Boys' volleyball falls to Westfield in MIAA Division I Finals

• June 12Wayland-Weston Crew's lightweight 4+ places sixth at USRowing Nationals

Artist of the Week: Ella Johnson

Junior+Ella+Johnson+sees+singing+as+an+important+aspect+of+her+life.+%E2%80%9CMusic+is+also+really+good+for+getting+excited+before+a+sports+game+or+waking+up+in+the+morning.+Singing+continually+helps+me+learn+to+put+myself+out+there+and+be+confident%2C%E2%80%9D+Johnson+said.+
Junior Ella Johnson sees singing as an important aspect of her life. “Music is also really good for getting excited before a sports game or waking up in the morning. Singing continually helps me learn to put myself out there and be confident,” Johnson said.

Credit: Courtesy of Ella Johnson

Credit: Courtesy of Ella Johnson

Jackie Stoller and Olivia Waldron

Junior Ella Johnson walks into the center of the stage, a spotlight shining on her face. The group starts and she begins singing her solo in an auditorium filled with people.

Johnson joined the Muses, an all female A Capella group her freshman year and has been in the group ever since.

“I am in the Wayland High School Muses, our amazing directors this year are Sophia Calder and Jessica DeMasi,” Johnson said. “We have concerts every couple months at Wayland High School, with the next one being at the end of March. I don’t usually sing alone in public, but I do sing in my car a lot. It gets pretty intense.”

Johnson’s favorite part of singing is that she gets to share it with other people, as well as making connections with her fellow A Cappella group members.

“It’s really great to share what you have been working on with people and get a positive reaction to it. Singing has also introduced me to some of the most amazing people I know. The Muses have honestly become like family to me.”

Singing has also helped Johnson grow as a person and increase her self confidence.

“Singing is a really personal thing, so when you sing something beautiful or create something amazing with your group, it is incredibly satisfying,” Johnson said.

Johnson also uses music as a way to destress and help with confidence issues and competitive sports.

“Music is also really good for getting excited before a sports game or waking up in the morning. Singing continually helps me learn to put myself out there and be confident,” Johnson said.

“The mic shakes every time I have to hold it. Putting yourself out there can be really tough when you don’t know how people will receive you,” Johnson said.

Johnson has come a long way despite her nerves. She has dedicated herself to the Muses and is determined to make the best of her musical career.

“Singing continually helps me learn to put myself out there and be confident. I have always worried about what other people think of me,” Johnson said.  “I’ve realized through singing that it doesn’t really matter what everyone else thinks, it matters how you feel.”