• Sophomores cancel spring dance

• Math team qualifies for New England Championship math meet

• WHS exchange students left for China on Apr. 6, to return on June 3

• April break begins on Saturday, April 14

• Students to embark on trip to France on Wednesday, Apr. 11

• Quarter three ends on Friday, Apr. 13

• Junior Andy Wang to teach April vacation computer science courses

• Spring orchestra concert on Apr. 10, choral concert on Apr. 11

Sophomore spring dance canceled

Pictured above are two sophomores dancing at semi-formal. The e-board has decided to cancel the proposed spring dance.

Credit: WSPN Staff

Credit: WSPN Staff

Julia Callini

The sophomore executive board cancelled the proposed sophomore spring dance through an announcement by President Ciara Murphy via Facebook on March 18.

“The [dance] would not [have been] to try to top [sophomore semi-formal],” Murphy said. “The point would have been to just have a class gathering and enjoy each other.”

The two factors driving the decision to cancel this event were interest in saving money for prom, and disinterest in the event from the Class of 2020. According to Murphy, about half of the sophomore class was not interested in the aspect of an informal dance. Murphy hoped that there would have been more interest, but ultimately decided to do what she believed was best for her class.

Many aspects of semi-formal, such as food, unlimited soda and an ice cream bar would have been omitted to reduce costs. According to Murphy, the cost was the main concern for the class. Murphy stated that the sophomore class would rather save their money for other events.

“We’d rather focus [on] saving our money for prom than spending it on the spring [dance],” Murphy said.

The money would have partially come from previous fundraisers such as Krispy Kreme doughnut sales, Bertucci’s pizza fundraisers and sweat pant sales, but would mostly be covered by ticket sales.

“I can’t speak for the whole class, but there were kids who were happy with the decision and there were definitely kids who were not happy with the decision,” Murphy said. “There were definitely mixed feelings.”

The decision to terminate the proposed dance was made by the 14-member sophomore executive board. According to Murphy, the decision was unanimous.

The original idea for the dance stemmed from sophomore Vice President Ryan Urato and the other two officers, sophomore Treasurer Brendan Ho and sophomore Secretary Kevin Wang.

“People really liked [the semi-formal], so we thought, ‘why not do it again?’” Urato said.

According to Urato, the brainstorming began shortly after the semi-formal had passed. However, the sophomore class lost interest as the months slipped away, and the executive board eventually decided to cease the proposed idea. One of the goals of the board was to keep ticket prices in the $10 to $15 range. Urato came to the realization that having the dance cost minimal money could also result in less fun. He observed that it could be odd to host a dance without any food, soda, or decorations.

Once the announcement was made, both Urato and Murphy felt like it was a good decision, and the sophomore class was not too disappointed.

“I think it was a good move,” Urato said. “There wasn’t sufficient interest to continue with the planning.”