Language building evacuated due to gas leak

Starting early this morning, teachers complained of a gas smell in some classrooms and in the hallway. After second block, in order to ensure everyone’s safety, students and teachers were asked to evacuate the language building. All classes have been relocated to different buildings on campus. “During a break in the AP [Biology] test, students were moved to the field house,” added Principal Patrick Tutwiler.

“They’re going to be drilling this afternoon, and we will have more information when they’ve found the leak,” says Tutwiler. Unfortunately, this means that there will be some loud drilling in the middle of campus. However, administrators are hoping that the leak will be fixed by this afternoon.

Students have been complaining about the smell of gas for quite a while. “There has been an odd stench in my Spanish classroom (L10) for a while now,” says Or Efrat, a junior.

“I have my Spanish class in L10, and the gas smell was present multiple times in the past,” said Robin Kim, a junior. “There was one time a couple of months ago when the gas smell was particularly strong. Others were notified of the gas smell, but no action was taken at that point.”

Ms. Bryant’s room was the primary source of the odor. “I am relieved that the mystery is finally solved and that the maintenance staff is working with the gas company to make the area environmentally safe,” said Bryant.

When asked if and when she had ever reported the smell, Bryant responded that she went to the maintenance staff in September and repeatedly reported the presence of the odor during the fall and more recently this spring when it reoccurred. The odor was not present during the winter. Today was the first day that the smell permeated the entire building.

Below is Principal Tutwiler’s e-mail to the community:

Dear Community,

I am writing to inform you of a building issue we encountered this morning. Several faculty members encountered a strong odor in the Language Building upon entering this morning. Our facilities personnel were contacted to investigate. The facilities personnel contacted the gas company while they attempted to determine the origin of the odor. Upon arrival, the gas company representative detected small amounts of gas in the air, particularly in classroom #10 in the Language Building. At that point, the building was evacuated and the Fire Department was called. The building is closed for the day, as the facilities professionals work to fix the leak. The gas leak is from a low pressure line. The pressure therein is less than that needed for a pilot light on a conventional gas range. The campus is safe and your cherubs are safe. The issue should be repaired by the day’s end.

Photo taken by Jon Bailey

$60
$1500