• Wrestling wins quad meet against Keefe Tech, Lexington and Holliston on Saturday 12/8

• BREAKING: School Committee votes for 8:35 a.m. to 3:10 p.m. WHS schedule, shorter Wednesdays to remain

• Second vote for WHS Athletic Complex Renovation project postponed from November to April

News Brief: Student Council officers elected amid low turnout

Pictured above is junior President-elect Amanda Armstrong sitting next to junior Vice President-elect Gage Fuller. Junior Daniel Nee will serve as treasurer, and junior Andy Wang will serve as secretary during the 2018-2019 school year.

Credit: Courtesy of Amanda Armstrong and Gage Fuller

Kevin Wang and Nathan Zhao

Student Council officers for the 2018-2019 school year were announced on Friday, June 1. Junior President-elect Amanda Armstrong and junior Vice President-elect Gage Fuller defeated the junior tickets of Emerson Kiefer and Henry Stafford and David Hill and Nick Smith, along with the sophomore ticket of Daniel Ryu and Robert Glazer. Meanwhile, junior Treasurer-elect Daniel Nee edged out junior Jeremy Kunen, and junior Secretary-elect Andy Wang overcame both junior Abaigeal Donaldson and sophomore Angela Chi.

The election saw record low turnout levels. 120 out of 237 freshmen voted, or 50.63% of eligible voters. 92 out of 213 sophomores voted, or 43.19% of eligible voters. 87 of 204 juniors voted, or 42.65% of eligible voters. It is possible that the low turnout was a result of paper ballots during lunch being used as opposed to electronic voting.

The four officers will now prepare to plan, organize and develop several events and activities for the upcoming school year.

“Both Gage and I are extremely excited to begin our preparation for these leadership roles next year,” Armstrong said. “Honestly, we were both quite nervous about the election. The other candidates are all very smart people and we respect them a lot, so it was nerve-wracking running against them and watching their videos. We’ve been thinking about ideas ever since we decided to run together, so we’re looking forward to getting the chance to implement them. Both of us care about helping others and making things the best they can be. We’ve both had amazing experiences thus far at Wayland and can’t wait to improve these experiences for the student body next year.”

“I feel confident about the makeup of Student Council next year,” Nee said. “I hear there are significant changes in the power [we have and the] decisions we will have to make. As such, my outlook is positive, though time will tell how exactly these changes play out. I’m just as curious as anyone else as to what the changes are, as well as how and why they were implemented.”

“I am pretty happy about winning the election and also very content with the abilities of the officer team that has been put together,” Wang said.”I think that [our] priorities all align really well, [and] we all have goals to improve many traditional events of Wayland. Especially knowing that we will be receiving more weight in decision-making next year, my outlook is optimistic and I very much believe that we can adhere to all of our campaign promises and be very successful in making the next year fun for everyone.”

About the Writers
Kevin Wang, News Editor and Copy Editor

Kevin Wang, Class of 2020, is the news section editor and a copy editor for WSPN. This is his third year on the staff. He is secretary of the Class of...

Nathan Zhao, Editor-in-Chief

Nathan Zhao, class of 2019, is a co-editor-in-chief of WSPN. This is his fourth year on staff. Previously to becoming EIC, Nathan served as the news section...

8 Comments

8 Responses to “News Brief: Student Council officers elected amid low turnout”

1. reason for low turnout on June 2nd, 2018 5:47 PM

It’s cause all the videos were bad.

2. Sleeping Yu Fan Teen on June 4th, 2018 6:04 PM

Completely false, because Dr.Yu’s video was the best.

3. reason for low turnout on June 11th, 2018 4:42 PM

My apologies. I spoke without thinking.

4. boi on June 2nd, 2018 10:30 PM

nobody wants to wait in those long ass lines at lunch

5. Samuel Coldstone on June 10th, 2018 1:15 PM

Dr.Yu WAS ROBBED!!!

6. Matty G on June 10th, 2018 1:16 PM

Dr.Yu WAS ROBBED!!!

7. Janoff on June 10th, 2018 1:16 PM

Dr.YEEEET WAS ROBBED!!!

8. Enraged students of Wayland on June 11th, 2018 4:41 PM

Dr.Yu WAS ROBBED!!!

• News Brief: Student Council officers elected amid low turnout

Warrior Weekly: Wrestling pins the competition

Top 16 favorite winter activities

Kyle’s Column: Actions speak louder than words

Kelsey Pitcairn: Having a community of thinkers and creators is really important

Teacher preferences for online learning: Google Classroom vs. itsLearning

The class of 2019 applies to college

Athlete of the Month: Tali Wong

Fashionista of the Month

ICYMI: Week of Dec. 3

Students give back to daycare community with holiday cheer