News Brief: Three Wayland-Weston Crew boats advance to national semifinals, livestream available

Members of the Wayland-Weston crew team at the Golden Gate Bridge while touring San Francisco before the regatta.

Credit: Courtesy of Abaigeal Donaldson

Credit: Courtesy of Abaigeal Donaldson

Nathan Zhao

At the 2018 USRowing Youth National Championships on Lake Natoma in Gold River, CA, Wayland-Weston Crew advanced all three of its entries to the semifinals. The women’s lightweight 8+, open 2-, and lightweight 4+ will compete on Saturday, June 9 in the semifinal and Sunday, June 10 in the A or B final, depending on the result of their semifinal.

In Friday’s time trial races, the first opportunity to qualify crews for semifinals, Wayland-Weston’s 4+ finished in first place, the 2- finished in fourth place and the 8+ finished in 17th place. While the 2- and 4+ automatically qualified by finishing in the top eight and six places of their respective events, the 8+ had to finish in the top three during Friday afternoon’s repechage 2. They did just that, beating the fourth place crew from Sarasota, FL by less than a second.

The WHS students participating in the semifinals are listed below:

Lightweight 8+

• Junior Cate Gould, coxswain
  • Sophomore Makayla George, stroke
  • Junior Abaigeal Donaldson, 7-seat
  • Senior Zoe Koechling, 6-seat
  • Sophomore Julia Pak, 5-seat
  • Sophomore Jane Greenaway, 4-seat
  • Junior Sophia Schroeder, 3-seat
  • Sophomore Rohini Ramesh, bow seat

Lightweight 4+

• Senior Logan Sundberg, coxswain
  • Senior Kyra Patterson, stroke
  • Sophomore Jenna Cook, 2-seat
  • Senior Jamie Cook, bow seat

Open 2-

• Junior Kate Maietta, stroke
  • Junior Gabby Fargnoli, bow seat

A livestream for the semifinals Saturday and the finals Sunday are available below through USRowing’s YouTube channel. The video of today’s 8+ repechage is also attached below. The Wayland-Weston 2- semifinal is at 11:28 a.m. (EDT), the 4+ semifinal is at 12:52 p.m. (EDT) and the 8+ semifinal is at 2:23 p.m. (EDT). Live commentary will be provided by USRowing, and the video will be available for viewing on YouTube after the livestream finishes. WSPN will update this article on Saturday as the event times for the finals are released.

Friday’s Repechage:

Saturday’s Semifinal Livestream/Video:

Sunday’s A and B Final Livestream/Video:

Nathan Zhao, Editor-in-Chief

Nathan Zhao, class of 2019, is a co-editor-in-chief of WSPN. This is his fourth year on staff. Previously to becoming EIC, Nathan served as the news section editor for two years. Outside of WSPN, Nathan cross-country skis and rows for Wayland High School and Wayland-Weston Crew. He is captain of the speech and debate and MUN teams at WHS. Nathan also serves as the class of 2019’s Treasurer and is an Eagle Scout. In his free time, he enjoys debating, camping and eating sushi.

Contact: [email protected]