MOTS: Student opinions on Supreme Court confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh

Junior Josh Snyder

Where on the political spectrum do you fall?
“In the middle, I’m open-minded.”

What are your overall thoughts on the Kavanaugh hearings?
“At this point, I’d say [the accusations] could be legit, but there’s not enough evidence to prove that.”

Do you believe there should be another investigation on Kavanaugh?
“There could, but there doesn’t need to be. For the most part, they found out that he was fine, but one guy decided that there should be an FBI investigation on it. I’d say he’s in the clear. I feel like they’re not going to find a lot in the investigation.”

Senior Hiro Waye

“I’m a republican.”

“I think it’s useless, and [I think] that they’re just trying to get attention-especially the people that are charging him.”

Do you believe that Kavanaugh did or did not sexually assault Christine Blasey Ford?
“Honestly I don’t think so, because it’s like 30 years later. Why are they making a big deal now instead of when it actually happened? The person is just trying to get attention. It’s been like this for Trump, [like] when he has been accused of rape. They [were] all found innocent, so I think it’s all for attention.”

Sophomore Nick Dresens

“I would say I fall more to the right, more conservative.”

What are your overall thoughts on the hearings?
“I don’t think they really have any evidence for it besides just accusations. I think they’re just trying to stall his nomination to get into the Supreme Court.”

If Kavanaugh is proven innocent, do you think he could still be elected?
“Yes, he is very qualified for the job.”

Junior Julia Pak

“I fall more on the liberal side of the political spectrum.”

“I overall think he should not be confirmed into the Supreme Court because I disagree with a lot of his beliefs, such as the one where he believes that the president should be above the law because that goes against the checks and balances of the government. Also with the sexual assault allegations against him, I believe that we should [appoint] judges that are more bipartisan which is not what Kavanaugh is at all because he’s very far right.”

Do you think Christine Blasey Ford has waited too long to come forward?
“No, I don’t because I know that it is a very hard process for a woman to actually come through to say this. They are under a lot of pressure and attacks once they do come forward. They lose a lot of their privacy once they come forward, and I know that Ford had to go through a lot ever since, having to leave her house for protection and safety purposes.”

Sophomore Billy Cossart

“I think I would be a moderate or slightly conservative, if you will.”

“It’s really a ‘he said, she said’ kind of thing, so you can’t really believe [either of] them since there’s no evidence to support either [side]. I want to believe Kavanaugh, but her evidence is pretty solid.”

Do you think Christine Blasey Ford waited too long to come forward with her allegations?
“I don’t think she did, but I think the democrats knew it, they waited, and they could have had an FBI investigation before, yet they chose not to. Then they decided to release it later just so that they could stall [the hearings] until [the] midterms.”

Senior Christian Kiernan

“I would say [that I am] moderately liberal.”

What are your overall thoughts on the Kavanaugh hearing?
“I think he’s acting very childish, which makes him seem more guilty than he may or may not be.”

Why does he come across as childish?
“It’s the way he answers questions and acts angry [that] makes him seem unprofessional.”

If Kavanaugh is proven innocent in the end, do you think that he could still be elected for his position?
“I think that this is too much of a scandal for him to handle.”

Do you think that Ford waited too long to come forward?
“I do. A lot of people [in her situation] have been coming out [recently], and maybe she felt more comfortable coming out after waiting, but maybe if she had come forward earlier, she would be more credible.”

Sophomore Charlotte Salitsky

“I am a democrat, or more of a libertarian.”

“I’ve discussed it at great length in my current events class, and I think that there are definitely a lot of factors to consider, but I think that Kavanaugh should be taken out of the running for the position [on the Supreme Court] because of the horrible allegations and the proof of his behavior in high school and in college. I think that anyone who had had these allegations [made against them] should not be in the running. I think that Dr. Ford is extremely brave and I have a lot of gratitude towards her.”