• Early dismissal at 1:05 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 12

• Math department goes back on newly instituted policy, will hand out tests to students

• School Committee violated state law according to state attorney general Maura Healey

ICYMI: Week of January 7

ICYMI: Week of January 7

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Kevin Wang

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

Reporters Ellie Tyska and Emily Chafe delve into Assistant Principal James Nocito’s impact on WHS as he prepares to retire at the end of the year. Nocito will have spent three years at WHS and 34 years in public education.

Chafe travels north to Claypit Hill School to examine the new Spanish immersion program offered to a class of kindergarten students. Taught by Kerry Davis, the students speak Spanish 90 percent of the time across all traditional subjects in school.

Features:

Tyska heads to nurse Amy Schoeff’s office to gain some advice about which precautions to take as the flu season picks up steam. Schoeff recommends that students thoroughly and frequently wash their hands in addition to getting the flu vaccine.

Sports:

Reporter Meredith Prince recaps the success of the boys basketball team at the Barry Hutchinson Memorial Holiday Tournament. The team has historically underperformed in recent years, but tournament MVP and junior captain Jaden Brewington managed to lead his team to the championship trophy and an undefeated record.

Reporters CJ Brown and Aiden Chitkara looked into the rigors and rewards of being a DCL All-Star. 31 Wayland fall athletes ranging from golfers to football players were recognized with the honor.

Opinion:

Reporter Caterina Tomassini details her experience after disconnecting herself from various forms of social media.

“Even if you can’t bring yourself to delete the app entirely, you could try to scroll through less per day. Based on my experience, being disconnected is great,” Tomassini wrote.

Kevin Wang, News Editor and Copy Editor

Kevin Wang, Class of 2020, is the news section editor and a copy editor for WSPN. This is his third year on the staff. He is secretary of the Class of...