• WHSPO votes to withdraw prom bus subsidization to Class of 2020

• Parents request $18,000 in donations for "Late Night" after prom

Cultivating connections: James Nocito’s time at WHS

After working with WPS for three years and educators for 34 years, Assistant Principal James Nocito will retire to Sarasota, Florida.  “I wish him the best of luck when he goes to Florida,

After working with WPS for three years and educators for 34 years, Assistant Principal James Nocito will retire to Sarasota, Florida. “I wish him the best of luck when he goes to Florida," junior Ciara Murphy said. "I think he’s really changed the way the student body use rules and how we respect rules at Wayland High School.”

Credit: Ellie Tyska

Credit: Ellie Tyska

Credit: Ellie Tyska

Ellie Tyska and Emily Chafe

Assistant Principal James Nocito will be retiring at the end of this school year after dedicating 34 years to public education and three years to Wayland High School. Although he will be missed by staff and students, many are excited for Nocito and his next steps.

“I’m happy for him,” Guidance counselor Jim Girard said. “He’s had a wonderful career working with students even prior to [his time at] Wayland. I’ve known him very well, and he’s a wonderful student advocate. I’m happy he’s going to enjoy some free time with his family.”

Being assistant principal comes with many responsibilities, one of which involves tending to student needs at school. The Wayland community knows Nocito for making every student feel like a part of the community and connecting individually with many of the students.

“I think Nocito has helped a lot of kids,” junior Ciara Murphy said. “I think he has personally helped me. Working a lot with him for the Class of 2020, he has really put 110 percent into caring for every single student.”

In addition to his close connections with the student body, Nocito also maintains strong relationships with teachers at the high school.

“He’s very organized and responsive to requests and questions,” English teacher Nancy Florez said. “He runs a tight ship. I will miss speaking in Spanish to him.”

Although his time in Wayland was relatively short, Nocito’s impact cannot be measured. Girard mentions that Nocito went above and beyond what some may expect of an assistant principal’s normal duties. He is well-known for making phone calls to every family of incoming freshmen over the summer to create a personal connection with parents.

“He’s gone above and beyond to connect with students and families,” Girard said.

For most administration members, the main office is their home at school. But for Nocito, the whole school has become his workspace. With his absence next year, there will be a gap left in our community.

“I think Wayland High School’s culture will be changed next year,” Murphy said. “We all have followed Nocito’s rules. I think that the new [assistant] principal will have big shoes to fill.”

After living in Massachusetts for the majority of his life, Nocito will be moving to Florida along with his family next year.

“I wish him the best of luck when he goes to Florida,” Murphy said. “I think he’s really changed the way the student body uses rules and how we respect rules at Wayland High School.”

Ellie Tyska, Staff Reporter

Ellie Tyska, class of 2021, is a first-year reporter for WSPN. She plays for the high school's soccer, basketball and lacrosse teams. Outside of her school...

Emily Chafe, Staff Reporter

Emily Chafe, class of 2022, is a first-year reporter for WSPN. In her free time, she plays soccer and basketball. She also enjoys reading and spending...

1 Comment

One Response to “Cultivating connections: James Nocito’s time at WHS”

1. Nocito Lover on January 9th, 2019 11:54 PM

only thing I won’t miss is when Nocito walks into your advisory to make sure everybody showed up and he finds the homemade and not prepackaged food.

• Cultivating connections: James Nocito’s time at WHS

News Brief: Three assistant principal finalists visit WHS

Warrior Weekly: March Madness Breakdown

News Brief: March Madness picks open

Climate strike reaches WHS students

Abby Gavron: Softball opened my eyes to the leader I can be

Behind the scenes with the senior show directors

Quiz: Which elective should you take?

Investigating the bonds between WPS educators

Winter sports recap

Season recap: Boys varsity basketball