• WHSPO votes to withdraw prom bus subsidization to Class of 2020

• Parents request $18,000 in donations for "Late Night" after prom

• Replacement candidates for Assistant Principal Nocito interview on March 13-14

Mateos Norian: Soccer gives me an opportunity to expend my energy in a social or fun way

Senior Mateos Norian runs after an air-ball. Norian has verbally committed to playing Division III soccer at Babson College in the fall of 2019.

Senior Mateos Norian runs after an air-ball. Norian has verbally committed to playing Division III soccer at Babson College in the fall of 2019. "[When I committed to Babson], I was happy," Norian said. "But I realized that I still had to stay focused in school and keep practicing."

Credit: Courtesy of Mateos Norian

Credit: Courtesy of Mateos Norian

Credit: Courtesy of Mateos Norian

Carly Camphausen

Many WHS student-athletes seeking the next-level playing experience have committed to playing their sport at their dream schools. Non-athletes have to undergo what is seen as a much more riveting process, filled with the uncertainty of applying to many schools. But a verbal commitment to sports actually shares a piece of that uncertainty.

The process of recruitment for student-athletes is grueling. Between college visits, prospect days and showcases (and in their parents’ case, money), a lot of time and effort has to go into pursuing further athletic goals.

Senior Mateos Norian has been committed to play men’s soccer at Babson College since early Dec. 2018. Norian has always known he wanted to play soccer in college, but reaching his goal took a lot of hard work.

Since returning from living in London for a year, Norian has been very focused on soccer. He has played with the Global Premier Soccer club (GPS), the New England Revolution U19 team and the Wayland boys varsity soccer team during his recruiting process.

Norian dribbles the ball while shielding off a defender.

Putting in work is an essential part of playing a sport in college. One of the most crucial things athletes learn to understand is that the work does not stop once one is committed. In order to succeed at that next level of play, practice is essential.

Norian still tries to touch a soccer ball at least six out of seven days of the week. On top of that, he is conditioning three to four days a week at Compete Strength and Conditioning in Norwood, MA. The assistant coach at Babson, Tim Peng, is a coach at Compete, which focuses on agility and speed and targets strength through personalized lift regimens.

Even when he verbally committed to Babson, he knew he still had a long way to go.

“I was happy, but I realized that I still had to stay focused in school and keep practicing,” Norian said. “I wasn’t too out of my mind [with excitement].”

Even though the Babson coaches reassured Norian that his application was likely going to make it through admissions, some of Norian’s club soccer teammates weren’t given offers due to poor grades. Further, players who don’t communicate well enough with the coaches and who don’t keep their grades up can get denied from their committed school.

Getting through admissions this fall was the final step in confirming Norian’s future at Babson. If he maintains his current GPA for the rest of the school year, he will be hitting the field for the Beavers next fall.

When narrowing down his choices, Norian was especially drawn to Babson due to the fact that it is local and has a great reputation as a business school. The school specializes in entrepreneurship, which is what Norian is interested in pursuing academically.

For many athletes, their favorite sports are oftentimes treated as a mental outlet and escape. Norian loves soccer because it gives him the opportunity to expend his energy on something he is passionate about.

“Soccer gives me an opportunity to expend my energy in a social and fun way,” Norian said.

Because of his persistence and hard work, Norian has a bright future ahead of him, academically and athletically.

Career Stats over two years (WBVS): 8 goals, 7 assists

Highlight Clip

Carly Camphausen, Staff Reporter

Carly Camphausen, class of 2020, is a second year reporter for WSPN. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, basketball and lacrosse. She also likes...

1 Comment

One Response to “Mateos Norian: Soccer gives me an opportunity to expend my energy in a social or fun way”

1. mayo on February 26th, 2019 8:02 AM

apparently babson got mad fogo

• Mateos Norian: Soccer gives me an opportunity to expend my energy in a social or fun way

Behind the scenes with the senior show directors

Quiz: Which elective should you take?

Investigating the bonds between WPS educators

Winter sports recap

Season recap: Boys varsity basketball

Today is the Day: Interviews

Warrior Weekly: B1G Wrestling Championship

Girls and boys varsity swim teams win state championships

Alanna Xue: When you’re playing, you forget all the background noise and just focus on making it beautiful

Athlete of the Month: Jack Karbowski