WaySub: Students launch deli pre-order website to facilitate lunches

Senior Rafael Chaves, and juniors Michael Chen and Jasper Hsu have created a website where students can pre order their deli sandwiches. “It’s a pretty simple process. You go onto the website, log in with your student email, pick your ingredients, and press the order sandwich option,” Chaves said. “You can even save your order as a favorite order so that it’s easier to order again in the future. There’s also certain rules like how you can only order once a day and you have to order more than a couple of ingredients.”

Isabella Arenas and Allie Nunn

The chaos of the Commons around lunch time can often be overwhelming. The deli line piles up out of the door, as masses of students invade the cafeteria to find a seat. Senior Rafael Chaves, and juniors Michael Chen and Jasper Hsu have created an alternative route to help solve the problem.

To suspend the problematic lines during lunch, Chaves, Chen and Hsu created a website that would make it easy for students to pre-order their deli sandwiches. “WaySub” will ultimately help students grab their lunch without having to waste a lot of time.

“It’s a pretty simple process,” Chaves said.“You go onto the website, log in with your student email, pick your ingredients and press the order sandwich option. You can even save your order as a favorite order so that it’s easier to order again in the future. There are also certain rules like how you can only order once a day and you have to order more than a couple of ingredients.”

A plus to their project is that they have made Waysub completely free. There is no additional charge for pre-ordering your desired food from the deli.

“More people should use this because it’s completely free,” Chen said.

The three students have been working on the project for their honors applied computer science class. The students found motivation from the Entrepreneurship and Business Management class.

“We knew about how the EBM class made projects and we wanted to make a project that would really benefit people,” Chaves said. “I always see the long lines at lunch so I thought this idea could work out really well.”

The idea first came into mind when Chen saw a senior grabbing a pre-made sandwich from the refrigerator in the Commons.

“We were at the refrigerator and we saw a sandwich with a [student’s] name on it so we were thinking, ‘what if we had a website for this so more students could do the same thing?’” Chen said.

Before putting the project to full use, they had to test the website out to ensure that there were no problems in the process of making it.

“This is the first week of our trial run,” Chaves said. “[The lunch staff] gave a three week trial for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.”

Because the website is still going through the trial phase, there has to be a maximum number of orders per day.

“Right now for the trial they’re having us cap the orders at 25 orders per day, and as of now, we get about five or six orders from students a day,” Chaves said.

The cap for the orders also makes it easier for the cafeteria staff to regulate and control all the orders.

“[This project is not inconvenient] because of the limit of 25 sandwiches per day,” cafeteria staffer Teresa Alvino said.

So far, much of the lunch staff has enjoyed making the sandwiches ahead of time. It gives them more time during lunch and more time to prepare. It also cuts down the lines in the Commons.

“Sometimes the kids will sit there and not really be sure on what they want which that takes up more time, so if they know ahead of time it easier, it’s done, and it’s ready for them,” Alvino said.

Although the cap for the project is 25 orders a day, only about five to six students have been using the website. The lunch staff hopes for more students to use it in the future.

“I wish more [students and teachers] would use it though,” Alvino said.

You can visit the website here: http://waysub.com/main.html