ICYMI: Week of September 16

Credit: Nat Hsu

Meredith Prince

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” news editor Meredith Prince summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

Editor Meredith Prince and WSPN’s Caitlin Newton covered issues with transportation in the first few weeks of school and discussed the possible causes of the increased traffic. 

WSPN’s Kyle Chen highlighted the student climate strike and how WHS students were involved. Many students walked out of classes to participate in the strike that took place on Friday, Sept. 20.

Features:

WSPN’s Christina Taxiarchis asked the student body for their opinions on the changes that were implemented this 2019-20 school year. A total of 294 students responded with their thoughts on the changes, which include the new start times, bell schedule, advisory schedule, the renovation of the fields and several others.

Sports:

Editor Ellie Tyska and reporter Jonathan Zhang took a close look into how the WHS varsity boys soccer team is rebuilding their program. The team won the state championship last year and graduated 15 seniors from that winning group.

Meanwhile, editor Hailey Robinson joined Tyska in reflecting on how the risk of contracting the Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) virus has affected the Wayland athletics program. Scheduling changes for practices and games were implemented for the safety of players.

A&E:

WSPN’s Jessica Reilly looked behind the scenes of the auditions for the WHSTE fall musical, “Chicago.” 33 students auditioned for the show, which is an increase in the number from years past.

“I think the best part is [showing] the work that you put in. You can finally show all the work that you’ve practiced,” sophomore Sammy Janoff said.

Multimedia: 

Editor Julia Callini snapped photos at the Wayland football team’s win against Hopkinton. The game took place at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School, a “neutral” site.