Are grade relations going downhill?

IMG_0344It can be challenging for incoming freshman to adjust to high school, given the open campus, new schedule, and higher scholastic expectations. But freshmen this year probably didn’t expect to experience upperclassmen “hazing” as soon as they stepped onto campus.

“I think they took it over the top,” complained one freshman girl about the seniors. “They did it way too soon. We were still trying to adjust to everything else, and it’s just another thing to worry about.”

Examples of what some are calling “hazing” include seniors applauding freshman as they enter the Commons, tripping the new students with the rug, writing names of particular freshmen on the Commons white board or listing them as “Freshman of the Day,” and sometimes referring to them with nicknames that many consider offensive.

Mr. Tutwiler has threatened to take down the Commons white board if the provocations continue. The Principal explained, “I’ll allow the white board to stay up if the teasing stops, but if I continue to hear about anything inappropriate written on the board, I’ll take it down.”

Seniors have been reported to throw food and block the freshmen from leaving the Commons. Some insist these are just pranks, harmless practical jokes that are simply part of a “tradition.” Others see these acts as fitting the legal definition of “hazing” under Massachusetts law.

Massachusetts defines hazing as “any conduct or method of initiation…which willfully or recklessly endangers the physical or mental health of any student or other person.” This definition seems so broad that some might argue that any even mildly demeaning activity would be illegal. Mr. Tutwiler voiced more concern for his ideal that the school create a welcoming environment to help freshman feel “the same familiarity, comfort, and ease that upperclassmen experience.”

He explains, “It might not seem like a big deal to seniors, but the things they do can be hurtful. I expect more from seniors. ‘Tradition’ is not an excuse and ‘tradition’ can always be changed.” Mr. Tutwiler admitted he was surprised to hear reports from freshmen, guidance counselors, and parents of teasing, because it is the first time the administration has received such complaints since the he arrived three years ago.

According to reports from hazingprevention.org, 1.5 million high school students are hazed in the U.S. each year. Forty-four states have outlawed hazing. Penalties under the law include punishments of up to one year in jail and $2,500 in fines.

The behavior of Wayland seniors is mild compared to the hazing at one Chicago high school. There, seniors threw eggs, as well as balloons filled with bleach, and pelted 9th graders with pennies on “Freshie Friday.”

Sophomores from one Wayland homeroom all denied that hazing is an issue at the high school.

Although not explicitly stated, many assume that freshman will not pass through the walkway near the sophomore, junior, and senior sections. Some argue this should not be considered harassment because it is not demeaning, but it also reflects a culture that may be unwelcoming. It is also assumed that freshman are to sit in their socially-designated section of the Commons. Some see the strict separation by grade in the Commons as a hierarchy at Wayland High that undermines freshmen.

Most tormenting has stopped since the administration warned seniors against hazing. But was this really necessary? Are we losing harmless traditions? Many freshmen say they haven’t minded the actions of seniors. They are often willing to put up with irritations because they will want to do the same when their own turn comes. “A lot of underclassmen can’t wait to be upperclassmen just because of all the teasing,” says one freshman boy.

Another claims, “It’s an overreaction on both ends.”

$210
$1500