WW’ 20: Student council kicks off with “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”

In+past+years%2C+WHS+has+gathered+to+watch+an+in-school+movie+in+celebration+of+the+end+of+midterm+exams.+This+year%2C+Student+Council+and+the+WHS+administration+has+made+the+decision+to+host+the+movie+after+school.+%E2%80%9CAdministration+and+Student+Council+saw+that+after+school+would+be+the+most+fitting+%5Bshowtime%5D%2C%E2%80%9D+Student+Council+vice+president+Shawn+Bernier+said.+

Credit: Atharva Weling

In past years, WHS has gathered to watch an in-school movie in celebration of the end of midterm exams. This year, Student Council and the WHS administration has made the decision to host the movie after school. “Administration and Student Council saw that after school would be the most fitting [showtime],” Student Council vice president Shawn Bernier said.

Every year, WHS students gather to watch an in-school movie in celebration of completing midterm exams. This popular Winter Week activity used to provide students with a short break from the school day, but this year’s Student Council decided to host the annual showing after school hours.

“We [hosted] the event at night because there were some problems with [showing] the movie in school, but we didn’t want to get rid of the movie tradition, so we made it a night event instead,” student-council member junior Elizabeth Zhong said.

Student Council voted on potential films including titles such as “Ghostbusters,” “Mean Girls” and “Napoleon Dynamite.” Ultimately, it decided to show the 1986 teen comedy, “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” which follows the antics of the titular character as he feigns illness and skips school in order to have a fun-filled adventure through the city of Chicago.

Despite efforts to inform the student body of the movie showing, the attendance stood at under 15 students. Zhong emphasizes attempts to attract students, including school-wide emails sent by both Student Council and administration.

Many students reported that their ability to watch the movie from home was a major reason why they didn’t attend the after school film. Conflict due to sports also played a major role in the lack of attendance.

“I heard that most of my friends weren’t going, so I decided not to go,” junior Randy Wang said.

Freshman Kat Lambert was one of the few students who went to the movie, despite having already seen the film. She notes that the timing of the movie could have been better.

“More people might have come if it was right after school rather than later at night,” Lambert said.

Student Council has recognized the lack of attendance but nevertheless remains confident for future years.

“I believe this transition to the evening will only grow in the future,” Student Council president senior Shawn Bernier said. “It was hard to get students to understand and adapt to the change, [but] having a movie in the evening allows a lot more liberty in choosing what type of movie to show.”