What WHS stands to lose

With the school district's first proposed overall budget reduction in decades, services and teachers at the High School are facing cuts and restructuring. (Credit: David Ryan & Jake Adelman/WSPN)
This article is the table of contents to a series on the proposed budget cuts for the next school year.

Recession, anyone? If there is anyone at Wayland High School who hasn’t yet felt the effects of our nation’s latest economic crisis, they won’t be able to say so next September. On December 7th, Superintendent Gary Burton announced a budget proposal, now available online, which would cut the district-wide school budget by 2.33%. The proposal is now in the hands of the Wayland School Committee, which is charged with amending, and then either approving or disapproving the budget by the end January.

These cuts would be the first to the education budget in three decades, yet it is important to note that they are not final. The School Committee will have the final say, but Wayland citizens with strong opinions to voice may do so at the Public Forum on Monday, January 4th, at 7PM in the Town Building.

Either way, it is clear cuts will have to be made. $1.19 million is the reduction the town’s Financial Committee has requested from the schools, and it is unlikely that this total sum will change dramatically. What exactly these cuts will be, however, is up for debate.

The current proposal was created largely by district administrators, who were asked by Burton to examine their schools and determine what they could and could not afford to lose. Wayland High will be the most severely affected if it is approved. Administrators made the decision to focus cuts on the high school because middle and elementary school programs have already taken severe hits in the past few years.

Community reaction ranged from understanding to outrage. “This is absolutely ridiculous,” one student commented on WSPN. “PLEASE rethink this,” commented another.

WSPN, in a special series, is taking a look at how exactly the cuts would affect the high school. What, and who, do we stand to lose? Are they necessary sacrifices, or sacrificed necessities?

Potential cuts in the English, Science, Latin, and guidance, and athletic departments are covered here. Math is not facing any cuts, besides the loss of the department secretary they share with English. An article on student response to cuts in the Arts department will also be posted shortly, but the teachers in that department were not yet comfortable speaking out.

This article is the table of contents to a series on proposed budget cuts:

$210
$1500