Opinion: We need LGBT+ history in class

Abby McCarthy argues that WHS history classes should start teaching about LGBT history.

Abby McCarthy

How do we decide who makes history and whose name we leave out of the textbook? Obviously we can’t include everyone, but we need exposure to different perspectives to understand the world around us. Our school needs to include the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans in our classrooms.

Contrary to popular belief, our nation was not exclusively shaped by wealthy, heterosexual, white men. How about instead of studying John Adams for the fourth time, we read about an LGBT person of color? In order for students to understand how America really became the nation it is today, we need to expand our history courses to include different American identities.

LGBT curriculum is essential to a well-rounded education. By excluding these issues from our classrooms, we are all denying history. Many LGBT people sacrificed their jobs and lives to fight for civil rights, and we should show them respect by learning about their struggles.

In order to graduate, WHS students need to take one year of Old World New World History (which is American-based) and another year of American history. In my two years of learning about “how America became the nation it is today,” we never learned about a single leader in the LGBT rights movement.

I understand why LGBT history has not traditionally been taught in schools. Gender and sexuality issues have just come into focus in the media and academia in the past few years. This subject, however, is becoming increasingly pertinent in our country as more people openly claim their identities.

Last year, the SAT subject test for American history included a question about Harvey Milk. Several of my friends told me that they only got the question right because they heard me talking about Harvey Milk’s influence. Right now, most WHS students are graduating with no knowledge about Harvey Milk, the Gay Liberation Movement, or any LGBT history at all. That needs to change.

Our history department is full of skilled and enthusiastic teachers who have the resources to introduce new material. Ample opportunities to include LGBT people already exist in the curriculum. I am not asking for the creation of an elective. I am suggesting that the history department incorporate LGBT history into the two years of American-based history that everyone already takes.

Teaching LGBT history will not take focus away from other topics. In fact, it will merely expand lessons to include different perspectives. APUSH teachers, when you are teaching about the seventies, you should take ten minutes to explain the Gay Liberation Movement. A mere twenty minutes of teaching about LGBT historical events and leaders per quarter would broaden students’ knowledge.

Besides, learning about LGBT issues is fun and relevant. This topic often relates to current events or to students’ own lives. Students want to learn about LGBT history more than they want to re-learn about some crusty old presidents. These issues provoke interesting discussions. You probably know the name Caitlyn Jenner, but have you heard about the drag queens and trans women of color who started the Stonewall Riots?

We need to include the history of LGBT people in our classrooms so that students can positively engage with the world beyond our classroom walls. I look forward to the day when students graduate WHS with more knowledge and understanding about LGBT people throughout history.