Don’t know what elective to take? Here are a fun few

Credit: Talia Macchi

As class selections are due for teachers next week, it is necessary that those who are interested in taking an elective choose one. WHS offers a wide variety of electives that excite many students.

Talia Macchi

With course selection for next school year just around the corner, many students are contemplating what classes they would like to take. WHS provides a range of classes to satisfy different interests, desires and curiosities. From traditional electives like creative arts to new courses you may have never even thought about, here’s a fun few to consider.

Journalism
Interested in writing, taking pictures or maybe even starting a podcast? Then journalism may be just the right elective for you. Beginning with Journalism 1 which focuses on identifying news, journalistic ethics, as well as multimedia standards like photography and videography. As the course progresses, students take this knowledge to contribute to the one and only WSPN. Journalism 2, 3 and 4 allows students to take their skills to the next level, managing the press network. Students are able to select a section (news, sports, multimedia, opinion, etc) with the opportunity to apply for leadership roles such as section editors, copy editors, managers or Editor-in-Chief.

The Arts
With a whole wing dedicated to the arts, WHS has a lot of fine art electives to offer. Art classes fully engage you into a studio art experience. Students use their knowledge and creativity to turn their artistic visions into a fun reality. Art classes include robust, full year courses like Art 1 through 4 as well as semester discipline based classes like drawing, Painting, Metal Smithing and Ceramics. Classes include, Art 1, 2, 3 and 4, Drawing, Painting, Metalsmithing, Ceramics and Digital Photography. Visual art classes are project-based and are outlined to build confidence and skills while encouraging independent work abilities. Down the hall, the theater and drama room stands where students may take classes like Acting and Improvisation, Dramatic Arts and Communication Studies. If music is your thing, you can learn how to play instruments, produce music, learn about music history or show off your skills by playing in an ensemble. If you have any inkling of creativity, then there is definitely an option for you.

Current Events
Is your favorite part of history class keeping up with important national news? Would you like to have a whole class dedicated to staying on top of world wide events? Current events will allow you to further explore news topics while voicing your view on the subject. You will explore the world as history unfolds and dive deep into complex issues in this light work class. You never know what tomorrow’s current event will be and what the class will bring.

Culinary
Cooking is a valuable skill that should be important to everyone. Everyone likes to eat, so why not learn how to make your favorite meals during school? This class will teach you how to cook a quick, delicious and healthy meal while learning about the theories and methods of cooking, important culinary vocabulary and safe and sanitary kitchen lessons. Culinary builds your cooking skills and healthy eating behaviors by teaching you how to meal plan and how to prepare a variety of meals. Who knows, maybe you’ll end up being able to make a whole meal for your family to enjoy, or maybe the class will be a stepping stone to owning a restaurant one day.

TV production
Everyone loves to binge their favorite shows, but have you ever made up a plot idea in your head that you think is just great? TV production is a step into making that idea into a reality. This class will introduce you to directing, sound, graphics, editing, lighting, field production and studio production while working with equipment in Waycam, Wayland’s film studio.

Forensics
Do you watch shows like Criminal Minds, CSI or SWAT and wish you could be a part of their team, investigating crimes? Well then, take forensics and find yourself learning the basics of ballistics, fingerprinting, pathology, blood-spatter analysis, vehicle evidence and facial reconstruction. Through detailed observations and collecting evidence, you will experience hands-on real life scenarios.

Astronomy
What makes a star shine? What are blackholes? How much longer will the sun keep shining? These are just a few of the questions you’ll get answers to in Astronomy. Moreover, you will examine ways modern astronomers view the universe and learn about theories that will leave you starstruck. This class is perfect for those who look up into the sky and wonder.

Robotics
Watch your technical creations come to life in Robotics. With many hands-on activities, you will become an expert on computer data collection interface, the graphical programming languages used to control processors and perform advanced robotic data feedback activities using real-time data to control robots’ behavior. This tech savvy class will leave you in awe.

Innovation Design and Engineering
Want to make the world a better place? Have an idea that could benefit us all? This elective will allow your problem solving skills to thrive through design and engineering. Students will develop powers of observation and build empathy through this cutting edge class with computer-aided design, 3D printing and laser-cutting.