Tips for the new school year

Credit: Hallie Luo

Reporters Hallie Luo and Selena Liu share some tips to help get you through the start of the school year.

Hallie Luo and Selena Liu

For many students, the start of the school year is a bittersweet time. There’s nothing more exhilarating than reuniting with your classmates and teachers after the summer, but the workload builds up quickly. Whether you’re a a graduating senior or a freshman walking through the high school’s doors for the first time, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and lost in a sea of angsty teenagers. As you settle into the first semester, it’s important to remember several things to keep yourself going.

1. This might sound cliche, but it is extremely important to stay organized. For example, maintain separate folders for different subjects and keep all your pencils and pens in a case tucked in your bag. We also recommend buying a planner to keep track of your assignments and important dates. There’s nothing worse than losing your homework in the depths of your cluttered backpack or forgetting there was even homework at all. Keeping track of due dates also allows you better manage and prioritize your time.

2. With all the academic pressure placed on students at Wayland High School, it’s easy to accidentally pile too much on your plate. Assess your current schedule. Do you find yourself in too many difficult classes in one day? Do you have enough free time to finish your homework? Even though many students want to strive for the highest scores in various honors and Advanced Placement classes, they should prioritize their mental and physical health. School is no longer enjoyable when it becomes too overwhelming.

3. Although some of your teachers may seem intimidating, they are there to help you. Don’t be afraid to email them with any questions about class, tests or homework. Teachers’ schedules are also posted outside every subject’s office so that you can meet with them during your free periods for extra help. You shouldn’t be ashamed to ask for extra help because everyone struggles at some point in their academic career.

4. We are extremely privileged at WHS to have so many extracurriculars offered to us, including various clubs, sports teams and fine arts programs. These are all great opportunities to explore new interests, meet new people, build your resumé and establish new relationships. Although certain programs have tryouts, most of these opportunities are open to everyone. If you want to join these extracurriculars, it is best to do so as soon as possible.

5. Even though it’s easy to get caught up in the academic side of things, attending social events is also an essential part of the high school experience. Friday football games, school dances like semi-formals and proms and Wayland High School Theater Ensemble’s plays are a great way to make friends and meet students from other grades. Once you graduate high school, it will be these memories that stick with you. As important as it is to get your schoolwork done, it is equally important to let yourself relax and have fun.

6. Being digitally organized is equally important as being physically organized. Group your tags into categories and delete anything that you don’t need. Create folders for each subject, and consider downloading Saturn, a new app to keep track of all your friends’ schedules as well as your own.

7. Never underestimate the significance of getting enough sleep. It can be tempting to stay awake at night, scrolling mindlessly through TikTok or in a rush to finish an assignment. Trust us, the consequences of your actions will catch up to you. School will feel impossible to get through when you’re half asleep, and you won’t be able to absorb any new knowledge or information.

As you navigate through this school year, it is completely normal to feel lost at times. We learn from every experience and things will only get better. Good luck!