A sneak peek of WHS’s most beloved clubs

Students+gather+in+the+Field+House+for+the+2021+club+fair.+At+the+event%2C+freshmen+through+seniors+are+given+the+opportunity+to+walk+around+and+examine+the+various+tables+that+each+club+presents.+

Credit: Charlotte Thirman

Students gather in the Field House for the 2021 club fair. At the event, freshmen through seniors are given the opportunity to walk around and examine the various tables that each club presents.

Nina Wilson and Sophia Oppenheim

What would Wayland High School do without clubs? The club fair, which will occur on Thursday, Sept. 22, allows students to learn about all of the clubs WHS has to offer. From Future Business Leaders of America to dodgeball, there is a wide assortment of options that students can choose between. Here is a sneak peek of a few of the 50+ clubs that students can find at the club fair.

Climate Committee:

Climate Committee dedicates their time to improving the student experience at WHS. The club addresses student concerns and works along administration to alleviate possible problems. Presidents Missy Prince, Abby Raftery and Zackary Goldstein hope that by boosting the social and academic climate of the school, students will have a more positive and comfortable time in their four years.

“We’re really excited to get things started and grow the club, and we have a lot of new ideas,” Prince said. “People should join because it’s run for students, so it’s a great way for students to advocate for themselves and for their student body.”

Yearbook Club:

Yearbook Club, run by editors-in-chief Emily Campos and Jun Waye, lets students have a hand in documenting the special moments that make up their high school years. They look forward to creating “The Reflector” this year with the help of a devoted membership.

“Yearbooks make a way for memories to be preserved and it’s really neat seeing it all come together at the end of the year,” Campos said. “I like it because I get to see people’s excitement as they reminisce about their year and think about all the great things they were able to accomplish.”

SADD:
Students Against Destructive Decision Club (SADD) brings together students to raise awareness about common unsafe and unhealthy actions made by teens. The five leaders of the club work together to create a space where students can problem solve and educate each other on various topics ranging from drug usage to drunk driving.

“People should join SADD because the message is very important and it truly makes an impact in the community,” SADD leader Piper Cinti said. “I enjoy it because it’s really fun. I think the issues are kind of seen as taboo and by taking a stand against them, we’re able to talk about them more.”

Debate Team:
While this team is actually classified as a high school varsity activity, the Debate Team will still have a booth at the club fair, awaiting students who have strong opinionated voices. This state and national winning team is a dedicated group of students ready to expand their team. President Prash Subbiah encourages all students to join.

“Debate is a great opportunity to learn public speaking skills, to make friends and to win trophies at the national level,” Subbiah said.

Water Warriors:
Water Warriors is a club geared to helping the community, specifically kids. WHS students come together after school to teach elementary school METCO students how to swim at Wayland’s Community pool, which is located next to the high school campus.

“People should join to help give this great opportunity to little kids,” club co-president Zach Rainville said. “You not only get community service hours, but also the satisfaction of helping a child develop essential skills.”

Lunch Bunch:
Lunch Bunch gives students in the general education program a chance to join and have lunch with students from the special education program, who they might not otherwise see during their school day. This is an opportunity many students enjoy taking advantage of, whether it be every lunch or just every once in a while.

“Everyone at Wayland [High School] should join Lunch Bunch,” senior Declan Murphy said. “It just makes lunch time better because you know you get to eat with a great group of people whenever you want.”

WSPN Club:
While most production for the Wayland Student Press Network (WSPN) is published through the offered journalism class, students have the ability to write or create content for the site through WSPN club.

“WSPN Club offers an opportunity for people who do not take the journalism elective to write for WSPN,” club president Tess Alongi said. “Everyone should join WSPN Club so you can use your voice for a purpose. We’re always looking for more people to write for our publication.”

Philanthropy Club:
Philanthropy Club recently started at WHS and quickly grew. Students can come together and plan various community service events all year long.

“It really inspires high school students to see how they can make an impact on their community and how easy it is to get involved even at a young age,” senior President Maya Lee said. “I think people enjoy being in the club because it’s low-key, and you can get community service hours for talking with your friends about ways to help people.”

Mental Health Club:

Mental Health Club provides a safe space for students who are struggling with mental health or want to be an ally and learn about the importance of mental health and self care. The club works closely with guidance counselors to ensure they are truly making a difference and helping club members.

“Mental Health Club gives students an opportunity to come together and just be in a safe space to do fun activities like drawing,” Mental Health Club President Jun Waye said.

These are just a few of the many clubs that the high school has to offer. All clubs at WHS provide great opportunities for students of all grades to meet others with common interests. So, as you make your way around the club fair make sure to check out these clubs and if you’re interested, sign up!