ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

ICYMI: Week of April 1 – Wayland’s affordable housing, solar eclipse potentially cancelling sports and effects of WHS academic culture

Credit: Alyssa Ao

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Selena Liu summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:
Editor Selena Liu and WSPN’s Aimee Smith, Kally Proctor and Jeffery Zhang explored affordable housing in an affluent town. WSPN’s Reva Datar and Proctor briefed how Monday’s solar eclipse may cause sports cancellations. Staff Reporters Addison Voight, Sofia Ciciarelli and Marissa Mendoza discussed how screens affect students’ learning and physical health.
Features:
Staff Reporter Maddie Zajac spotlighted 252 Old Connecticut Path. WSPN’s Sasha Libenzon and Datar wrote about navigating the local impact of climate change.
Meanwhile, WSPN’s Tina Su, Bella Schreiber and Hallie Luo uncovered the story behind Hallmark’s origin. Staff Reporter Ainsley Jay wrote about how WHS teachers handle recommendation letters.
Sports:
Staff Reporters Torryn Carlson and Sophia Verma wrote about winter’s impact on student athletes. Schreiber produced an article about WHS athletes who are committed to college for sports. Su, Schreiber and Luo uncovered the gap between women’s and men’s sports.
Opinion:
Staff Reporter Olivia Green wrote about why mifepristone should be permanently offered in pharmacies across the U.S.. Datar reflected on her time on the WHS wrestling team.
Meanwhile, the Editorial Board produced an editorial on the effects of the academic culture at WHS. WSPN’s Chloe Zilembo shared her opinions on junior year being the hardest year of a students’ high school career.
A&E:
Staff Reporter Makenzie Macchi and Co-Editor-in-Chief Talia Macchi produced an April crossword puzzle. Staff Reporter Jillian Mele produced an infographic on flowers in April.
Podcast:
Editor Abby Raftery and Staff Reporters Maggie Buffum, Melina Barris and Green broke down Wayland’s news in Weekly Breakdown Episode 80. Staff Reporters Elyssa Grillo, Carolina Sdoia and Jessi Dretler revealed the royal family’s internet controversies. Staff Reporters Jenny Shine, Annika Martins and Tasha Janoff uncovered the history behind the Wayland Town Center.

$210
$1500