Special Town Meeting wrap up

Active WayCAM participant Evan Barber awaits the fate of Article 5 at the Special Town Meeting. (Credit: David Ryan/WSPN)

Voters at the Special Town Meeting Tuesday night voted unanimously to approve Article 5, providing WayCAM – Wayland’s community access channel – with space in the new high school, which is currently under construction.

WayCAM records and broadcasts local events with the help of students at WHS who take the TV production elective. The organization is currently housed in the administrative building of the high school, but was not allocated space in the design of the new high school.

Article 5, which was approved by a voice vote, transferred control of the weight room in the field house (currently nicknamed “The House of Pain”) to the Board of Selectmen for the purpose of leasing the room. The field house is to be closed for renovation in the spring of 2011, and remain as the main athletic facility on the new campus. The Selectmen will decide who could best use the room and is expected to lease the room to WayCAM.

Voters also chose to pass over Article 6, which asked the town to allocate $130,000 to the town for the purpose of buying Sudbury’s share of the joint septage facility. Sudbury residents had already authorized the sale of their portion of the facility.

Wayland residents attacked the proposal for alleged lack of planning and for potential liabilities. Voters expressed concern about hazardous materials that could be on Sudbury’s parcel of land, potential worker liabilities, and the fact that Sudbury would not have to help pay for demolition if their stake was bought out.

Wayland residents consult their warrant at the Special Town Meeting. (Credit: David Ryan/WSPN)

Voters also allocated $6,000 from the Community Preservation Fund to renovate to Voke’s Theatre, and $40,000 for appraisal of Mainstone Farm. Appraising Mainstone Farm is the first step in the process for approving the land as a town conservation area.

The longest and most complex article of the night, Article 11, was rejected by town residents. The article would have amended the zoning bylaw to make it “consistent and well-written,” in the words of the Planning Board. Voters argued that they did not have enough time to consider the 50-page article.

Additionally, a stricter set of energy codes was adopted as a bylaw, making Wayland eligible for select state grants.

Finally, the town also approved Article 15, allowing the Mass Highway Department to begin construction of a new Pelham Island Bridge at no cost to the town. The current bridge is one-lane wide.

Town residents will convene again in the spring for the Annual Town Meeting.

$60
$1500