WHS participates in first annual W-Day

Above, is the Wayland-Weston football game last year. Rivals Wayland and Weston are taking part in the first ever W-Day, a day when all the fall sports teams play each other. “We have a great rivalry with Weston, so it’s a chance to bring all of our teams into the rivalry, and make it a fun day where it’s not just the football or the hockey or boys' basketball team that gets to be involved,” said Wayland High School athletic director Stephen Cass.
[/caption]

On Saturday, Sept. 27, Wayland High School is participating in the first annual W-Day. W-Day is a day when all the fall sports teams from Wayland High School and Weston High School compete. This year’s W-Day took place at Weston High School.

The event was modeled after private schools that play all their sports teams against their rival school on one day.

Each winning team earns points for its school, and the school who earns the most points wins. A varsity win is worth two points, any junior varsity or freshman win earns one point, and a tie is a half point at any level.

“We have a great rivalry with Weston, so it’s a chance to bring all of our teams into the rivalry and make it a fun day where it’s not just the football or the hockey or boys’ basketball team that gets to be involved in something that’s very competitive and fun, but now all the teams get to be a part of it,” said Wayland High School athletic director Stephen Cass.

The winning school of the competition earns a bucket that will go to the winning school for the year and will most likely reside in a trophy case. The school will decide what to do with it once they receive it.

“Not sure what we’ll do with it yet, whether we let some of the seniors paint it and sign it or do whatever for a year; we’ll figure that out. Whoever wins, we’ll let them figure it out and maybe set a tradition how they want it,” Cass said.

Although it is a competition, Cass hopes for good sportsmanship and more mutual respect between Wayland and Weston.

“Being competitive and being fun is one thing, but I think both schools have crossed the line in the past couple years,” Cass said.

Cass also hopes that every team, whether it’s varsity, junior varsity or freshman, feels like they’re part of the rivalry and their game counts toward something.

Another part of W-Day is that players and fans can donate used athletic goods to charity. The goods will be collected at W-Day and will be donated to inner city charities.

[table id=65 /]