From Jan. 19 to Feb. 2, Newton School District teachers demonstrated for a renewed and modified contract, which resulted in 11 days of canceled classes. Join WSPNs Reva Datar and Selena Liu as they interview Newton educators and students about the strike and its impact.
Newton educators and students reflect on record-breaking teacher strike
February 17, 2024

UPDATED: Posters to return once additional piece is added

width="470"
Pictured above is a poster featuring a racist remark. These posters were put up yesterday and were since taken down. The poster reads, "I'm coming to your house tonight for fried chicken."

Posters featuring derogatory remarks made by other students that were put up yesterday in an attempt to bring awareness of stereotypes have been taken down by administration. According to Principal Allyson Mizoguchi, their removal was due to the possibility of misunderstanding the message.

“It’s not about angrily tearing them down and shredding them; it’s about respectfully pulling them down in order to relaunch conversation in a different way,” Mizoguchi said.

Mizoguchi plans for the posters in B Building’s foyer to be reposted once another piece is made to go along with it, which METCO students are working to contextualize the posters. Their piece will clarify the purpose of the posters and may provide some general background about the remarks the students have heard.

French teacher Heather Pineault is currently organizing a session for next week where students will be able to discuss the stereotyping and racism within the school system.

UPDATE:
Signs returned to the main hallway of the B building on Thursday afternoon. The signs were posted around a center sign that reads: “These are real quotes that were said to students at Wayland High School. These quotes are not meant to single out or offend anyone, but to bring awareness — awareness that judgment is occurring in our school. Whether it is about race, sexuality, religion, etc., it needs to be addressed.”