Student Council makes changes to Spirit Day

Pictured above is the Class of 2014 celebrating the 2013 Spirit Day. The set up of Spirit Day has changed this year. “It’s going to be a lot of fun,” Student Council president Anirudh Nagesha said. “Everyone should come and then support the senior girls in the Powderpuff game later. It’ll just be a blast.”

Student Council is organizing Spirit Day this year to be different from that of past years. Students will be traveling in larger groups made of several advisories, and a number of new activities will be taking place.

“We originally thought that we could divide into grades and move around, but a lot of people expressed displeasure with that idea,” Anirudh Nagesha, president of Student Council, said.

Instead of each advisory traveling alone and meeting others at activities, each advisory will be grouped with three or four others, including freshman advisories.

According to Nagesha, the purpose of incorporating freshmen into the other mixed-age advisories is to have integrated competition.

Vice President Evan Hughes adds that Student Council is planning large events with teachers and students. They have already decided on some Spirit Day activities, including Minute to Win It, Pictionary, Song Recognition, and Catch Phrase with Jimmy Fallon. Some form of a relay race or something sports-related will also be incorporated.

“The general format [of Spirit Day] is basically the same, so we’re going to have people meet in advisories, and then we’ll split up from there,” Nagesha said. “Then we’ll go to our activities, and at the end, we’ll go to the pep rally.”

In the past, there has been a significant drop in student attendance on Spirit Day compared to on all other days. As a result, Nagesha and Hughes, along with the Student Council advisors Jared Walsh and Charlene Bishop, Treasurer Josh Brito, Secretary Luke Xu and Student Council members, are trying to increase student attendance.

“I think a lot of the activities we have [planned] are a lot more fun. The fact that we’re going to be in large groups [will make people] want to be more involved,” Hughes said. “Also, at the end, you’re not just going to be sitting down, watching dodgeball and then leaving; it’s going to be a lot more interactive [with more] student involvement.”

Because of students’ expressed disinterest, Student Council is removing some activities from past Spirit Days, such as teacher trivia, regular trivia, and Coke and Pepsi.

“People are going to be surprised,” Hughes said. “It’s going to be awesome. People will like it.”

Nagesha is looking forward to the event.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun,” Nagesha said. “Everyone should come and then support the senior girls in the Powderpuff game later. It’ll just be a blast.”