Meet the Teacher: Michelle Ross

Pictured above is a new Special Education Liaison, Michelle Ross. She is the third teacher featured in WSPN’s series Meet the Teacher. “I am really looking forward to getting to know my students,” Ross said.

Isabel Gitten

Michelle Ross, Special Education Liaison.

What did you do before you taught at WHS?

I was a high school English teacher in an alternative education program that supported social and emotional needs of students. It was located off-site in Newton Public Schools and we served Newton South and Newton North high school students. I did that for ten years. There I was a general education teacher in an alternative program and I realized as I was teaching how much I liked helping the kids and got really interested in special education.

What sparked your interest in teaching?

Originally, I was a local newspaper reporter for a few years and was in communications. I always wanted to be an English teacher and I got a great teaching job in Newton. That was my first teaching post after graduate school. I never anticipated being in an alternative therapeutic program and it just snowballed from there. I got into teaching because initially I really wanted to help kids write. I have a strong interest in education because I feel like it’s the only piece in life where if you are in a certain socioeconomic space your education can really push you somewhere else. I truly, passionately believe that education betters people’s lives.

How has your adjustment to WHS gone so far?

This school system is amazing. The kids and staff are amazing. I am very enthusiastic to be here.

What are you looking forward to this year?

So many things. I keep asking everybody where I can buy a Wayland High School sweatshirt. I would like to go to at least one football game. I really want to do those types of things that allow me to feel like part of a community. I am looking forward to seeing the musical. I am also really looking forward to getting to know my students. I am amazed by the students here — they all seem to have athletic and musical capabilities and are very well-rounded. What I see from the students is a direct impact of the school’s mission statement. There seems to be this push for students to be thoughtful and active citizens, and I can see this transfer to the kids that arrive here in my classroom.